Fitting alloy wheels to a 1993 defender

Hi there, just joined the group and am looking for some help. I’ve bought some alloy wheels for my 1993 130 defender to find that they were a tight fit when fitting too the hubs and would not allow me to fit the centre caps, so I then went and purchased a set of 30mm wheel spacers only to find they still won’t fit due to the fact that they turn the wheel so that the hub bolts dig into the insides of the wheel. Is there a solution for this please?CF714650-9E26-42B3-AB70-7AF4837E43A9.thumb.jpeg.3a9e42c228882a932c187597fe4b17b6.jpeg

With the spacers fitted Ray, it's probably the drive flange bolts that are now catching on the alloys. You'll need to align them so the corners don't stick out or replace them with cap head bolts so that they don't foul the inside of the wheel.

HTH

Mo

• Thanks 1

A 130 requires an 1100kg rated wheel for the rear axle and I don't think any of the alloys are. It's the reason the 130 always had the HD Wolf-type alloys with the holes in, which were about twice as thick as the standard steel wheel. People do fit them, and I've never seen one break, but strictly speaking it's naughty. Strictly speaking it's naughty to put Freestyle alloys on a 110 too :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies, I did think about using a thicker spacer but didn’t want to go out more than 30mm. Changing the drive flange bolts would be the next option. I didn’t take into concideration the weight limit on the wheels as I’m not going to be carrying the weight it’s just a run about vehicle really, but if all else fails I will be fitting the original steel rims as standard after all they are not a bad looking wheel. These are the alloy wheels I’m trying to fit, I think they are off a early disco ?3A23C56D-4223-4235-9059-330B78C39E3E.thumb.jpeg.81dd0e2f66824461b8e5e709b86d0e06.jpeg

IIRC they are the deep dish, 110's used the boost which look very similar.  I think its the maximum gross weight that has to be catered for regardless of whether the vehicle is loaded to max weight or not. 

https://www.famousfour.co.uk/new_parts/ff_part?part=9957

these are the boost 

https://www.famousfour.co.uk/new_parts/ff_part?part=9956

• Thanks 1

All advice is most appreciated, gonna have to make a few inquiries about the weight rating on these wheels for the insurance reasons as pointed out. Going back to the question in hand the only reason why these wheels won’t fit is the head of the drive plate bolt then?

If the wheels are able to cope with the weight.... You will need to either align the bolt heads so they don't catch on the wheel, as others have said, or get some alternative bolts of a suitable strength...

Flange.thumb.jpg.534e46e7975a456468524c408c75ff71.jpg

The picture of the inside of the alloy posted above does show a max weight.. 650 or 850 kg??

• Thanks 1