Sainless Exhaust advice

Due to Pastycrimpers latest post, he has mentioned a desire for a Stainless Steel exhaust for his rebuild, I too have a desire for such a system on my 300Tdi 90 and not wishing to totally hi-jack his thread and turn into yet another SS exhaust topic, have started this instead plus hopefully wont run for long and bore the rocks off every one!?!

As stated I run a 300Tdi 90 with original exhaust set up, ok it's not thee original parts fail, parts get replaced and all but you get the drift?.........So if I go SS what set up do I need to get that best suits me, I DONT want LOUD! a tad louder than standard if need must. maybe acceptable but I am not a noise freak!...........Power wants to be at LEAST the same, more is good, but NO LESS!........Any other benefits regarding the installing of a SS system and its requirements will consider?

So I start with the basics..........DOWN PIPE.........Now what bits do I need to consider/get after that?

See what you've started Pastycrimper!?!......Hope you're pleased with yourself!?! :P;)

If you find somewhere selling ss exhausts off the self that are sectional let me know. Every time I come to need to replace a section of mine I have a look, but everywhere sells them as a complete kit or a custom build. Both of which are a little heavy on the bank balance to justify when there is only one piece that needs replacing. I have stainless down pipe as I have a 200tdi conversion in the 110 but the front centre and rear are all standard.

Because of this you might find it very easy to get what you are looking for as you will be able to buy a complete off the shelf system that is a direct replacement for standard.

dag019 i know exactly what you mean and yes buying a section at a time would be useful ;)

What i was wandering was, what are the pros and cons to the standard x3 and having a system that does away with the box in the middle section, so down pipe, straight pipe middle section and back box. Is the later any good or should i stick to original set up???

17 hours ago, Mutley said:

What i was wandering was, what are the pros and cons to the standard x3 and having a system that does away with the box in the middle section, so down pipe, straight pipe middle section and back box. Is the later any good or should i stick to original set up???

I have got rid of the centre box in my 110. I replaced it with a second front section which worked no problem with my conversion as was a lot cheaper than the "special" box removal pipes. I do not know if this is an option for a standard vehicle as the front section with my conversion is cut down to length.. It makes slightly louder but not really noticeable. i did not notice any other difference. Certainly not the huge power increase some places claim, but I was never expecting that. I did it because I had managed to tear a big hole in the centre box offroading. At the time I was a student and the front section was cheaper than the silencer and stopped it happening again. I have replaced it since but never bothered refitting the centre box.

On 08/12/2017 at 10:56 PM, Mutley said:

See what you've started Pastycrimper!?!......Hope you're pleased with yourself!?! :P;)

Sorry! There are some crazy threads out there on custom exhausts, and bore sizes and back pressures and damping and sound and and etc etc

Glad you've started one though because it would seem an obvious item for Defender lovers and not much info