Cat D... Not really a problem.. :)

Afternoon All,

I have my Cat D up for sale, having owned many Land rovers over the years from Series 3’s 88" & 109" a brief affair with a V8 Disco and back to Defenders it always puts a smile of my face regards the fears that surrounds Cat D’s.

As you can buy a rear cross member, a 1/4 -1/2 chassis to happily swap over with the aid of a diy mig welder, there is no engineers report to obtain, if it’s old enough not even an MOT required, the welds do not need to be done by a coded welder, the brakes, suspension, steering components are removed, some times “up graded” none of which are checked out for safety, correct installation etc..

No need to notify your insurance company either…!!

In days gone by, perhaps it still goes on these would be called "cut n shuts!' we on the other hand ask the question when buying a Defender or Series... "how's the chassis?" the reply comes... Oh! I've welded in a rear 1/4 chassis!" - Great we reply, thats one job I won't have to do...:)

Only in Land Rover World... 

Just for fun... :)  Snowing outside so finding excused not to go fling the spanners at my other project... !

I'd be careful recommending people don't need to tell their insurance, there are certainly some insurance companies that don't insure cat d's. My insurance would but they would have put my premium up considerably. I imagine if you crash and you haven't told your insurance then you will quickly find out you're not insured.

I'm not recommending any such thing...?

I related not telling your insurance company to when we nail a new rear quarter chassis in, on axle stands, on our driveways, with a diy mig welder in the snow, which in truth is major chassis work, Cat C..?!

No checks required..

re Cat D all my insurance company wanted to know was if it had a currant MOT, at the time it went back on the road it didn't as it was less than three years old..  

Again, no checks required..  

Just pointing out how strange our laws are.. :)

Edited by rekab69
spellinh

Back in the early Eighties, I used to do cut and shuts, probably twenty ? You wouldn't easily find the joins though.

Back in the day you used to have to get a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) done by VOSA, but I don't know nowadays, and if OK, just get an MOT. Remember though, that there was no computer network then. These days any insurance company will know that a vehicle is Cat C or D.

Only real downside is that a vehicle is worth considerably less. Always were, but easy to get away with in pre computer days.

There is nothing wrong with a cut and shut if it's done properly.  Of course, many weren't, and so an over-reaction from the authorities and insurers ensued.  As said, nobody is overly concerned by chassis repairs for rust, axle swaps for upgrades or panel replacements for rust or dents if done correctly - they get positively excited at a new galv chassis; but if there is mention of accidents and insurance they get nervous and will simply walk away from perfect vehicles that have a Cat D or Cat C history.  It doesn't make much sense, really.