soakes94

Steering heavy to right

So I’ve just fitted a recon steering box, tried my best to bleed it using the usual methods of left to right a few times with the nipple open and closed. With the nipple open I’m getting a flow of fluid with no bubbles. The flow is stronger when turning right though if that makes any kind of difference? When driving the car though it’s a lot heavier past centre heading right. Any ideas? 

How confident are you that it's  a solid/sound reconditioned unit, ie cheap and cheerful from unheard of place or from somewhere with a decent reputation?

Cheap recons usually just fit new seals and not much more hence cheap.

It’s a box from NPS (national power steering) which I believe are good?

Troubleshooting for stiff steering (300Tdi)

image.png.16d73ab69b16e095b1b1300b951413f6.png

Did you centralise the box? I would start from first principles, disconnecting everything and not trusting that the drag link and steering wheel point to it being centralised

image.png.2c58665ced755142570752086d6847da.png

• Like 1

The guard on the diff isn't catching on the steering track rod is it?

Have recently fitted a OME dampener and everything was fine before I swapped the boxes over.

Will check if the box is centred tonight when I get home. 

But that doesn't mean that something hasn't gone wrong with it now.... for the sake of a couple of bolts, I'd have thought that this was the quickest thing to check!

How miffed would you be if you changed the box for a replacement, only to discover that the problem was still there? Personally I'd rule everything out first, and start with the easy ones....

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but wouldn't the steering not being centralised just cause a wonky wheel? surely it wouldn't cause the steering to go tight when turning right, unless it was set too far to the left on the drop arm.... and as far as I know the drop arm can only go on in one position due to the double width spline at one point.

In other words you can't miss aline the drop arm as it only has one position that it will fit, so if the steering is going stiff in one direction it has either got to be internal or another factor acting on the steering, not the position of the arm. It could be a swivel pin bearing, but unlikely as you haven't disturbed it... So has the damper got bent in the operation? or just failed.....

So the box needed alighted so that’s done now which has helped but it’s still heavier to the right. 

Have taken steering dampener off and still heavier to the right than the left. The steering was fine before until I swapped the boxes so unlikely that it’s a swivel (both had a complete rebuild in February). Anything else to look at? 

The only other thing that I can think of is to drop the drag link and that will tell you if it's the box that's at fault.... got a peculiar feeling it might be a dud.. although with the steering box disconnected from the wheels it might be hard to detect any difference!

Edited by miggit

What state are the column UJ's in, one could be tight operating one way. 

I did think that but normally the going tight is in both directions with the UJ's, all the ones I've come across tended to go hard / soft as the wheel was turned, regardless of the direction.... But a healthy shower in penetrating oil would soon show improvements if it was the UJ's!

So the weird felling has gone after spraying plenty of oil! However the box seems to be leaking and I’ve no idea where from. The pipe connections are dry and the steering shaft input is fine I think, the oil seems to be sitting on the chassis rail towards the front of the car. Any ideas? It could it just be left over oil from bleeding it? 

Spraying it on the UJs? The oil left on the chassis could be from that. I'd clear it off and see if it reappears. Try and dry/clean it all then you'll stand a chance seeing where its come from.

You can't beat a bath in WD40!!

The next thing is clean the chassis with some brake and clutch cleaner, then run the car and see if the oil comes back.. you never know it could be run off from the UJ repair!