If you value this forum's future please support us
Stambecco

Swivel seal retaining plate.

Defender 110 200Tdi 1990(H)

Hi,

I am in the middle of replacing the swivel chrome ball seal, using the entire hub and half shaft removal method. After cleaning it up and unbolting the 10 mm bolts on the retaining plate, I prised it off, only to see another retaining plate behind it. They are identical.

Question is, is there supposed to be one plate or two?

I can't see why there should be two and it must have been on there since the last person changed it. I have owned the vehicle for 22 years and this is the first time I've done it. I use oil in the swivels, not grease.

I have also got the wrong gasket, I will use corn flakes box and silicone, but that's another story!

Thanks.

I found 2 fitted once on a vehicle, took one off and it never made any difference to the sealing.

Landroversforever on here sells shiny stainless replacements for not much money, might be worth a pm.

Mo

I don't know what to do! I think that as there have been three cases where two plates have been fitted, I will refit both of them.

Thanks Mo but I haven't got time, it has to go back together tomorrow 👍

Or as mentioned earlier PM Landroversforever -- Stainless Steel Swivel Seal Retainer plates available. FRC4142 and 571755 versions. 

4 hours ago, western said:

items 12 & 13 in 110 parts book on page 415 shows a joint washer & the retainer plate, in the qty list it shows 2 per assembly [each side] 

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/5_axles_suspension_steering_p398-471.pdf

That shows two in total, one each side. Why would there be two on each side? Weird. 

It doesn't show two, one is the retaining plate and the other is a massive fibre gasket. 

Sorry peaklander, misread your post!

Edited by landroversforever

Ah that should be 2 per assembly [1 of each on each swivel housing] not 2 each side. if you scroll down to the later 300tdi front axle it only list the seal retainer, no gasket.

I've just put it all back together and now I'm really confused. Both plates looked the same to me, not a plate and a fibre gasket. I fear I may have now done it wrongly with the wrong parts! 

I’m nearly 90% sure that my 110 had 2 each side both metal  I cleaned them up and painted them , can remember thinking why was there 2 each side will have a look tomorrow see if I can confirm it, but it was bout 2 years ago.

Yes, same here. I'm pretty sure these ones have never been off since the vehicle was built. It's possible that later models may have had a fibre gasket instead, I suppose. 1990 was an early 200. 

I’ve had vehicles with two installed on each side.

I think earlier types used a gasket, later ones don’t seem to have one.

Mine had two when I stripped it down, the early ones have that gasket and I think people are just getting confused when they've fitted two. There certainly no reason I can think of that you'd need two! 

Yes I mean if you needed two, then you’d have to make twice as many stainless ones which you’d then have to sell! 😀

• Like 1

I can confirm that Ross's stainless ones work admirably in the singular with a gasket in my case.

Mo

6 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Yes I mean if you needed two, then you’d have to make twice as many stainless ones which you’d then have to sell! 😀

Well if people want ta I'm happy to sell them two sets and reduce the postage :P