Swivel seal retaining plate.

Defender 110 200Tdi 1990(H)

Hi,

I am in the middle of replacing the swivel chrome ball seal, using the entire hub and half shaft removal method. After cleaning it up and unbolting the 10 mm bolts on the retaining plate, I prised it off, only to see another retaining plate behind it. They are identical.

Question is, is there supposed to be one plate or two?

I can't see why there should be two and it must have been on there since the last person changed it. I have owned the vehicle for 22 years and this is the first time I've done it. I use oil in the swivels, not grease.

I have also got the wrong gasket, I will use corn flakes box and silicone, but that's another story!

Thanks.

4 hours ago, western said:

items 12 & 13 in 110 parts book on page 415 shows a joint washer & the retainer plate, in the qty list it shows 2 per assembly [each side] 

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/5_axles_suspension_steering_p398-471.pdf

That shows two in total, one each side. Why would there be two on each side? Weird. 

• 8 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:59 PM, western said:

items 12 & 13 in 110 parts book on page 415 shows a joint washer & the retainer plate, in the qty list it shows 2 per assembly [each side] 

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/5_axles_suspension_steering_p398-471.pdf

Came up with the same query regarding two retaining plates and found the topic on your forum.  Could it be the retaining plate had been doubled up as a manufacturers mod to make it stiffer and thus  stop leaks through the joint washer when the swivel housings were filled with oil.  Did the early defenders had oil filled swivel housings?

western may have fallen in to the trap caused by our digital age by only looking at a page found by a search engine rather than the whole document.

A lot of technical documents on the web (not only Landrover) were written before the age of the internet.  They are index based, so to search you use the mk1 eyeball starting with the index from there you are guided  along a specific path which takes you to a section and perhaps sub section which may have relevant additional information.  A search engine looks for specific words or groups of words within the text of the document.  The search results may even show you the index and sub section pages but who wants to look at them when with a single mouse click you can be on the very page you think you need.

The Landrover Parts Book is one such document with the relevant section entitled axles and suspension so the quantities are for one axle not individual assemblies. eg the housing bearings (item 6 on page 415) and all the associated parts are not handed so the parts lists quantities are doubled hence 14 off Bolts, Spring washers and plain washers for holding the retaining plate.  The half shaft assembly is handed so quantities for one axe are single.

There is an anomaly to this if you look at page 417 the technical author had a bit of a senior moment.  The swivel pin housing is handed so single per axle and all the items attached to the top half of the housing have per axle quantities, but for the bottom half it goes a bit Pete Tong with some quantities for per axle and some per housing.

The moral of the story is don't just rely on the information you are presented instantly with by the internet always try to find another source to cross reference with.  Look at section and subsection pages another 10 min reading could save you hours work or better still money.

• 1 year later...

found this topic searching for info on this exact topic : rebuilding a 1984 LHD axle , and found 2 retaining plate's on both side's , and of course the gasket (FRC4206).

i looked in my old parts manual RTC9863CE (land rover one ten , covering vehicles up to august 1986) , and i found only 1 plate per side (FRC4142) .

the manual has a release date of october 1989 , so if the factory removed 1 plate in lets say 1988 , and found this to seal equely wel as 2 , why do you find 2 plate's on cars manufactured years later .....(as in the original posters question)