Battery charging

Mutley

So on my Defender 300tdi i have fitted an Anderson connector from the battery and mounted it on the front of the passenger side seat box, to make attaching jumps leads easier as they are now fitted at one end with an anderson connector.

Now my battery charger has clips, which i dont want to remove as these are useful when charging other batteries. But they obviously wont fit or attach to the anderson, is there a way of being able to use the connector as a charge point ie wedge a strip of metal into each side of the anderson then attach the clips from the charger?

I know it sounds crude but could neaten it up and put rubber between the metal strips to make safe, or is there a better solution?

Cheers Andy 

The anderson connection is the grey 175amp..... seems a bit big to attach to small wires on the battery charger plus the expense of buying another x2 connectors and altering what i have... but if this is the only option/solution then so beit?....is anything cheap and simple with LR!?!

Thanks for the reply rtbarton

Use a small pair of connectors, to make up two fly leads from the charger, only need to be 4mm bullets or similar.

Even the old Tamiya RC battery connectors would do, or anything salvaged from an old car loom that has two pins.

I'd thought of doing it with the plugs on the charger, then make up two leads, one with crocs on, and one with half an Anderson.

You could fit a separate panel mounted connector to the seat box, which you would use only for charging, probably a better connector for that, but you'd also still want two sets of leads, I dunno now :)

Ideally I think you'd want a plug/socket combination that has inline and panelmount variants!

Alternative approach - I have an Amphenol Eco-Mate bulkhead connector on the rear body, which give me two separate connections, one to each battery, fused at a few amps each. The mating plug is hard wired to a couple of motorcycle trickle chargers in the garage. No running cables out through the door seal, and the Ibex can sit on the drive in the rain, while getting a maintenance charge on both batteries whenever I remember to plug it in.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/industrial-automation-circular-connectors/5401868/

Just need a 'remove before flight' tag on the steering wheel so I don't drive off before unplugging (again).

Or... if you have a permanent 12v feed to a caravan socket on your tow hitch, plug your charger in there instead. Works nicely on my Disco.

Edited by TSD

on my Motorbike rather than having to remove the seat etc I just put two small flyleads off the battery posts and simply attach the charger to them , when not in use the cable tucks behind the panel  another alternative would be to mount two more posts to attach the croc clips to

http://www.mobilecentre.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=725

sort of like this

• 2 weeks later...

I have just connected the battery charger clips to the Anderson socket that is fixed on the passenger side seat box (fitted this as an easier way of getting battery power with the use of jump leads that were adapted). They attached quite nicely and so turned on the charger and it did the job, so maybe i dont have to faff with fixing in a separate charging plug/ adapter after all? 😉😁

My Disco 2 has Anderson connectors front and rear for the winch and for jump starting. I also mounted a small anderson connector in the rear and have beacons, inspection/work light and Invertor that I can plug in. All very useful but have hardly had cause to use them lol

On the battery charging side......i have a battery that has 120ha and my bsttery charger says it is capable of charging up to 110ha... does this mean i need to get a new charger, will the one i have do the job or harm the battery but not being powerful enough?

The charger will do the job, it will just take longer. And it might not like the prolonged heavy use, due to heat build-up. But it's only 10% extra, so not that much. As long as the battery isn't fully depleted, it shouldn't be an issue.

6 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Since no-one's said the F-word yet... if you're running fly-leads from your battery PLEASE stick a fuse in the line!

Actually two fuses, one at each end as close to the batteries as possible.  If the wire gets chaffed and shorts to the bodywork it will be fed from both ends with current.