Premium Durability, premium b******s more like

SteveG

10 hours ago, Soylent Green said:

True! It will be all about sales with JL

You mean unlike all those other car companies who aren't interested in selling cars? :blink:

The whole point of the original Series 1 was to make something (anything!) after the war that they could export.

Honestly, JLR must have no grasp of their history, they'll be basing the Defender on the Range Rover next, totally against tradition... :rolleyes:

If the next Defender is based on a RR chassis, with even half the gadgets and off road capability, I'll be a happy man, and in the queue for one!

Sit a 1983 110 next to a 1983 RR, and compare the tech, gadgets, and capabilities. They were quite clearly directly related to each other. Unfortunately, LR didn't develop the Defender to shadow development of the RR line. If the new Defender rectifies this, then I think they'll be moving in the right direction.

The gap between the new Defender and the current RR clearly need to be a bit wider than in 1983, but much less than it was at the end of Defender production.

I'll be trying to hang on to my '86 V8 90 weekend toy, but I'm hoping I can replace my RR Vogue daily with the new Defender in a couple of years.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2017 at 9:46 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

You mean unlike all those other car companies who aren't interested in selling cars? :blink:

The whole point of the original Series 1 was to make something (anything!) after the war that they could export.

Honestly, JLR must have no grasp of their history, they'll be basing the Defender on the Range Rover next, totally against tradition... :rolleyes:

All sad but true!:huh: with JLR history belongs in the past! To which where it will stay:(

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it would be nice to retain the ethos and character of the classic defender, the spy pics previewed earlier seem to discount it looking anything vaguely familiar to what we know (and love, occasionally lol) 

No mention of cost on the new G-class though...I imagine it's not going to be a cheap vehicle and will be interested to see the base model price and where that puts it in the pecking order.

On 16/12/2017 at 12:31 PM, Tanuki said:

The "commercial" one in those photos looks nice: now let's hope that they produce a version with a petrol engine and manual transmission! A nice DOHC straight-six or V6, about 3 litres, with a low-pressure turbo or two...

I've come to the conclusion that for anyone buying a vehicle that they intend to keep for more than a few years, Diesel is well and truly dead: all the fretting about particulate-pollution means we can be sure there will be significant hikes in first-registration-tax and yearly VED for Diesel vehicles along with Diesel fuel-duty going up significantly faster than the duty on petrol.

And then the news this week :lol:

Yes, it would appear Mercedes have indeed. Then, on the other hand, there is JLR: supposedly no market for the Defender, front end can't pass regulations, blah blah blah. Are they the dumbest car company around, or is someone else even better at this business of not making as much money as they could? 

I know that, but seeing how Fiat now have a major hand in Chrysler, and they own a big chunk of Iveco.. I was just wondering if there might be a resurrection of a Defender type 4x4.... Seeing how LR have stuffed their supporters..