Heater or lack there of (that old chestnut)

Is it the fan/blower that’s not working or the fact you don’t have heat? 

My 110 blower works great (said it now), I’ve put a winter blanket/ leather cover on the grill to stop the cold air getting to the rad, the difference in heat coming out the fan is well worth it. 😊👍🔥

The defender fan shifts a lot of air. So if its not putting out much then theres a leak in the system. I know when I stripped my truck down the heater to bulkhead seal was knackered. They'll also not blow much if the heater cables aren't adjusted right. The latter also applies to heat if the engine is getting hot enough but no hot air.

4 hours ago, DC_ said:

Is it the fan/blower that’s not working or the fact you don’t have heat? 

My 110 blower works great (said it now), I’ve put a winter blanket/ leather cover on the grill to stop the cold air getting to the rad, the difference in heat coming out the fan is well worth it. 😊👍🔥

You say you've blocked the rad... have you got a decent thermostat in there? I know you're up in Scotland with the associated colder weather but my 200tdi used to warm up in a few miles even when it was -7/-8C.

2 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

You say you've blocked the rad... have you got a decent thermostat in there? I know you're up in Scotland with the associated colder weather but my 200tdi used to warm up in a few miles even when it was -7/-8C.

Thermostat replaced in June. 2.5 n/a diesel. Warms up (Luke warm) without blanket but with the blanket on in about zero degrees, it’s better. If it’s not too cold +2, I don’t have it down. 👍 can’t always check the Thermo I guess just to make sure. 

I know Miketomcat actually un-seized a Defender heater blower that was solid due to mud but that's a rare case and he's special like that.

If you're getting power to the fan and air blowing out in reasonable volume then a lack of heat is either flap adjustment, crudded up heater core or lack of hot water from the engine.

Or the universe telling you to buy an Eberspacher... mmmm... Eberspaaaaacher :wub:

• Like 1

If Sir would care to search the Defender forum for 'feeling cold in your truck' or our vast tech archive for 'defender heater checks' he will find my post on how to adjust the control cables on the heater controls/air flaps, the Sir will be toasty warm. 

also make sure the new stat is a 88 degree version.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Is it only me that sniggers behind my hand whenever I see their name 😁 

Mo

I never thought about it before but now you mention it I'll have a chuckle  along with you. 😂

Have a good what ever you do at this time of the year to everyine.. 😎

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, western said:

74 & 82 were also used on the olderdisel engines. but all Tdi should have the 88 degree stat fitted.

Or hotter:  engine efficiency improves with increasing heat: if your radiator pressure-cap is working correctly and you're running at least 33% glycol in your coolant (which raises the boiling-point significantly above the usual 100 degrees)  there are definite benefits from a bulk-coolant temperature in the 95-105 Centigrade range.

Same goes for oil temperature: in my last job I was involved in provisioning big [think 500-Kilowatt] Diesels to power Internet data-centres if there was a power outage. Mr. Caterpillar was quite happy for the bulk oil temperature to run at 130 Centigrade with the engine being loaded to 85% of its rated output.

They ran for 5000 hours between oil-changes. That's half a year of near-wide-open-throttle.

Hot engines are healthy engines.