LT85 20c solid case rebuilt

lo-fi

One last thing I forgot to put in the post.. Contraption for taking the gearbox out:

rP31insl.jpg

So much easier than wrestling with the engine crane in the way. It rests on the chassis at the bottom - perfect for an electric or chain hoist.

Great contraption, you've used quite some length of Square tubing for this project I see? :D I know of several people that use a piece of Wood or length of tube between the sidewindows in the doors for the same job.. I've never tried it though as I can't imagine how to Work around this with the doors essentially locked in position :) 

An excellent write-up and photos.  Thank you for taking the trouble to make such a detailed record.  It's a little intimidating to us mere mortals, who manage a spanner, and perhaps a circlip pliers, but building up weld material is definitely better left to the gods.  It does show, however, the level of detailed work required in such a job.  Thank you, again.

Mike

Cheers Western :)

You give me too much credit, Mike! I'm no pro, and definitely consider myself a fellow mortal. The welding... Well, it's not special metal, and if you can weld already it's no big deal. Setting the machine up so it doesn't under cut at the edges of the weld bead is about the only special trick. There was a bit of soul searching as to whether I was doing the right thing - time will tell! 

What I would say - having done this and a couple of LT230's - is that it's not actually that scary once you get into it, and really enjoyable work. Don't be intimidated :) I just studied the manual, looked, poked, measured, made tools, got myself and the space organised and got into it, trying to be as tidy and methodical as possible. The manual is excellent, and nothing more complex than a feeler gauge is needed during the inspection process. I did consider handing over a large sum of money to Ashcroft for a recon, but I just couldn't resist a little challenge... I can't wait to get it refitted and see what it's like! 

I'll post the YouTube link when I've got it edited and uploaded, I think it gives a nice overview of the teardown process and what's lurking inside. 

Thanks again to everyone for the warm reception. Makes me want to do more! 

/Ian

• Thanks 1

Just to beat the drum on one of the topics I frequently go on about, and to ensure that this thread is of value to future readers, please, please, please ensure that all photos are on the forum, not on some hosting site that may give us future problems, just like PB.

OK, drum beating over!

Mike

That is a fair point. I put them on imgur because I wasn't sure how much I was allowed to directly upload. Always a worry post PB :/ 

I'll see what I can do, may have a quick chat with other a moderator about the best way to sort 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Cheers Arjan 

I think Troll Hunter means pics hosted on the forum so they can't disappear when a third party host decides to go all photobucket on us... Yes, I never got around to that. Can I actually do it in this post within the 20MB limit, though? Or is there a better way to upload a bunch of photos for me to relink to? 

Yes, lo-fi, you're right on it.  Far too many threads have been compromised by PB, or similar,  changing rules or just going belly up.  If members really want their contributions to be available long term then they really should upload them to the forum or have their own web site where members can visit.  As previously said, a great write up and you should be very pleased with the result after 2 years of use.

Mike