Defender Td5 with Variable Geometry Turbo

td5_2004

Guest diesel_jim

Great stuff!!

Ok, question time now.....

what turbo did you use? (the one from the 2.8 international?)

did it fit "straight on" or need modification? i can see a downpipe flange welded on in the pics?

did you have to alter the ECU programming for the boost pressure at all?

good modification though, has it made the engine a great deal better?

cheers!! :D

For better comparison if/when Rodney gets some data from his engine, does anyone have a laptop & GPS setup, and a standard-tune Td5 Ninety with a winch and cage, ideally on 35" Simex? :) Otherwise, just a stock Td5 Ninety would be fine but you need the GPS (or a friend with a similar setup, or to be near London to borrow mine in January...)

edit: or a Td5 110 would be fine too - the spec's not too important as long as you can estimate the weight really...

hi guys, i will work on the write up and together with Turbocharger i will give you some figures aswell. for now i can say that yes it is purely mechanical and the ecu nedded to be modified to get torque on low revs. still needs some mods because i am expecting more power on low revs. installation is really straight forward, once you figure out the position of the turbo, its really a staight forward fit. the only thaing that i had to change is the scavanger oil return pipe. you also need to have a good engineer to make you all the flanges. i was lucky enough that i only needed a flange for the exhaust manifiold ( but i will fabricate a new manifold to reduce restrictions since the turbo has much bigger exhaust. on Tdi's you need to do a new manifold for sure. i will send pictures of my friend's 300 tdi as we fitted one on his in the same week. it only took us 1 day for firring on the td5.

now i am waiting to test it on the road with the gps. i am also trying to take it at a car performance shop to get more accurate results on a rolling road.

any way that's all for now, need to get back to work.

all i can say that it feels more than 230 bhp for sure.

regards

Rodney

ps if anyone is intersted in buying these kind of turbo's I have a good contact that is selling them to me at a good price. here in malta i already started a craze for them hehe.

cu all soon

hi guys, i will work on the write up and together with Turbocharger i will give you some figures aswell. for now i can say that yes it is purely mechanical and the ecu nedded to be modified to get torque on low revs. still needs some mods because i am expecting more power on low revs. installation is really straight forward, once you figure out the position of the turbo, its really a staight forward fit. the only thaing that i had to change is the scavanger oil return pipe. you also need to have a good engineer to make you all the flanges. i was lucky enough that i only needed a flange for the exhaust manifiold ( but i will fabricate a new manifold to reduce restrictions since the turbo has much bigger exhaust. on Tdi's you need to do a new manifold for sure. i will send pictures of my friend's 300 tdi as we fitted one on his in the same week. it only took us 1 day for firring on the td5.

now i am waiting to test it on the road with the gps. i am also trying to take it at a car performance shop to get more accurate results on a rolling road.

regards

Rodney

ps if anyone is intersted in buying these kind of turbo's I have a good contact that is selling them to me at a good price. here in malta i already started a craze for them hehe.

cu all soon

I'd be interested in a price... drop me a pm ;)

230bhp.... doubt it ;)

Peak bhp will not have changed that much (if at all).... but the torque and power curves will have changed considerably!!

Boost pressure wise, what does it peak at now?? AFAIK in a TGV max boost pressure is 18psi… which will be very close (if not at) the boost cut point on a TD5 depending on the ambient temp. Easy enough to get around this though ; )

Have you remapped the engine yet??.... Shame your so far away I probably sort that at ; )

LR tried running a VNT during the TD5 development, and had massive improvements but the upgrade didn’t go any further due to cost!!

Ian

I'm hoping to see curves like this when I fit my VGT:

GPSpower-torquewithVGT.jpg

The thin lines are the current 300Tdi performance (from the satnav "rolling road"). Upper lines are torque, lower lines are power.

The thick lines are my guess for torque (green) and power (yellow). You can see that peak power isn't really affected because the boost at 4000rpm is still going to be 1 bar. However, the usable torque at 1400rpm could go up to 220Nm from 160Nm at the same engine speed. The figures are a bit arbitary, but that 40ish% increase will feel like 150bhp (a 40% increase from 111bhp) even though the peak power is unchanged. Who regularly drives their Tdi at 4000rpm anyway?

Various016.jpg

Various003.jpg

This is my version, (bits removed for easy viewing)

I run 1.8 Bar boost peak, 1.7 settled.

Full rich set at 1.6 Bar and 0.2 extra to clean things up and cool things down,

Engine not quite standard though ;)

Not had time for the rolling road with the new turbo etc yet as had turbo problems. Bearing failure! :(

Initial torque is mega massive! from 1100 rpm onwards with no boost lag what so ever!

Lifted auto box stall speed from 2000 to almost 2500rpm and that means big numbers!

Running with my old hybrid unit installed now and it feels terible in comparison ;)

Got special hybrid VVT on order, should rip my wheels of ;):) (hope not)

Lara.

Jules, you'll be wanting gas next ;)

I'll be interested to compare the figures you get to mine (propare, fuel/boost tweek, freeflowing exhaust/snorkel all coming soon). Power you'll destroy me on given the red lines 3,800 but I'd be interested to see how low end torque compares.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest diesel_jim

regards

Rodney

cu all soon

Any update on this conversion?

I've not slept yet, been sat in front of my screen waiting.... :blink::blink:

:D:D

I couldn't wait either - so I bought one :D

It 's an Ebay special, taken from a Merc ML 270 / E270 / E290 engine.

It needs an adaptor plate making to mount it to the manifold flange, and I'm going to stick my chargecooler in at the same time. I'll do a full writeup, but it might not be for a little while!

For anyone looking at getting a VNT, you can tell it's a variable unit as the actuator arm and diaphram cylinder are at 90 degrees to the axis of the impellor shafts, and instead of the end of the arm operating a wastgate linkage, it dissapears inside the unit between the two turbines. The manual units use boost pressure to alter the angle of attack inside the turbine - don't buy anyhting with any sort of multiplug as I think there are electronically actuated units out there.