Disco 2 alloy-wheel nut replacements?

ThreeSheds

I have alloy wheels on my Disco 2, and the nuts have corroded under the caps, meaning that I can't get my impact socket on them without a struggle. (I have to use a rattle-gun to undo my wheelnuts since I am not as strong as I used to be). I don't particularly want to replace them with the same so...  A while ago I found some wheelnuts for sale on ebay that were intended as replacements for the standard alloy-wheel nuts with the silly cap thing, but were solid machined steel, but now I can't  find them. Can anyone help please?

I guess as an alternative I could buy the normal ones and boil them in Linklife before use - that should stop them corroding :D

Have tried looking for range rover wheel nuts? My L322 had plain black steel nuts without those silly caps... but you'll need the know which nuts you've got... they come in 20mm wide and 22.5mm wide. From what I can remember they should be the 22.5's.. but don't rely on my memory ... I was around before they invented mobile phones, soap you washed with.. not watched, and surfing required the sea... not a computer!!

• 1 month later...

Beware thst a lot of the aftermarket wheel nuts are nowhere near as strong as the OE nuts. They'll be strong enough to retain the wheel, but can be much more sensitive to cross threading - especially with a rattle gun. From personal experience, they appear softer & not so well heat treated. I have to make sure more threads are engaged & running smoothly vs OE nuts before using the impact wrench. I only use the wrench to spin them down fast, then use a torque wrench to finalise tightening. 

On 24/12/2017 at 11:26 PM, ThreeSheds said:

...  A while ago I found some wheelnuts for sale on ebay that were intended as replacements for the standard alloy-wheel nuts with the silly cap thing, but were solid machined steel, but now I can't  find them. Can anyone help please? ...

Possibly MisteR Tee or possibly Wrington Engineering. I haven't used either.

Regards

The only solid (capless) wheel nuts that I've been able to find are either 20mm or 22.5mm shank, which means that they are for D3/4, L322 and RRS, it looks like you can only get the capped type for the D2 / P38:angry: Wrington might be able to make a set, as they are basically a RRC wheel nut with a smaller thread... Typical of LR to shrink the thread size and then wait a model run to shrink the wheel nut size...

If you really must have solid wheel nuts you could always upgrade to the later alloy wheel, there are a lot of cheap 18" sets on the market as most peep's are changing them for rubber bands... fools!

14 hours ago, miggit said:

The only solid (capless) wheel nuts that I've been able to find

There are these, but they are rather expensive: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-20-x-M14-x-1-5-27mm-Hex-Alloy-Wheel-Nuts/172202468700?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144