Replacement Brake Master Cylinder help

Just looking at options for Brake Master Cylinders and it doesn't look like you can get the pressed steel TRW units with the welded on ports as commonly as you used to.

Just from a quick search I'm now seeing there's a cast body type, doing a parts search for LR013018 you get a few options from Brit-car, it does look like TRW are producing one of the cast body types which is fine, but then you compare the cast TRW with other pattern type parts they practically look identical...

Not really having much allegiance to the original TRW brake masters as they don't have that amazing track record, can any advise if they've fitted one of these cast body masters and from what supplier?... at the moment I can pay anything between £40 and £200 for what seems to be pretty much the same item...

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/448440/0/brake_master_cylinder_defender_from_vin_ha107___901

Cheers

Mav

30 minutes ago, Mutley said:

Check L.R.Series web site and put in part number ......SJC100460

Is this the pressed steel one?

I put in the original part number you posted and it came up with 3 options, this was the second. Hope it helps

Yeah, that's the one, good spot, and if it is that type its the cheapest I've seen it... (which unfortunately make me suspicious)

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/11471/SJC100460-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER.html?search=SJC100460&page=1

I'm from Yorkshire...

Having said that its not so much cost that bothers me its more how blatantly unclear and the lack of published origins of some of these parts is, and the fact that something has changed... I don't like change... I've not seen these later cast master cylinders before, especially supplied by TRW hence by initial suspicion of them being counterfeit, having said that doing a bit of reading up on TRW they where bought out by ZF a few years ago so maybe some of there items will change slightly.

I know I can get a unit from Brit-car that they say its a TRW etc etc, which is fine, but this is where I get my knickers in a twist, Europarts sell 2 units, one at 90 squid, the other at 40, one is sold as OEM, the other "unbranded" but they look IDENTICAL... queue minor nuclear explosion in my head. Well you might say he's not bothered by cost to why do I care, well I do care as I'm not going to throw my hard earned coin at someone without some kind of good reasoning... (well I try not to).. 

After being stung too many times, I like to see with my own eyes what I'm buying, then I can decide if its good enough, so many suppliers have pictures up of item that aren't the actual item they're selling get sick of sending stuff back.

Regarding your finders fee, unfortunately that's been spent on the usually exorbitant postage cost from said suppliers and usually the 3 months it takes to actually arrive - in which case I could have Tig welded a new replacement from iron ore I smelted then alloyed and rolled myself (into a fine grade of steel), having grown a rubber plant and extract the milk to produce my own seals... and refine some crude to get me some polymers... deep sigh.

Now I'm on a role... then there's the part of me that goes why not get the cheapest one going, as they all look identical, surely they've come out the same factory? - and surely a company selling "safety critical" parts like brake master cylinders should surely have some kind of quality process in operation?... (ha ha ha now that is wishful thinking...) but why not and ffs why don't people (shop owners and suppliers mainly) seem to care? I find this topic deeply exhausting on so many different levels its untrue.

Found a TRW boxed unit on fleebay for 75 squid in the end, lets see what arrives...