S2a or 3 gearbox?

TheBigJim

The series 3 will have a cast mount in the bellhousing for the clutch slave cyl. and a release arm  , the 2A should have the slave cyl. mounted to steel brackets and a bellcrank to the release cross shaft housing. Ashcrofts website lists casing nos. iirc against LR models.

cheers

Steve b

I am putting a new galvy bulkhead on my S2A, have the old one off (without removing the roof), electrics disconnected etc, ready to start refitting, but the S3 gearbox on it has a whine, sticks in gear at times, and I have two spare gearboxes, so will check which is s3 and open it up to see waht it is like, if it seems OK will remove the old one, change the overdrive over, and fit it before I put the bulkhead in.

She is outside in this  weather, though have lots to do in the garage cleaning and painting parts etc.

Great fun, I did teh chassis perhaps 8 years ago, still as good as new!

IMG_0536.JPG

Almost everythiong off the old bulkhead, next job to clean it al up and put on the new one.

Looked at the two gearboxes, neither usable as they are, one s2, one s3. So might have to make a 'one out of two' with the s3.

What would cause a whine in the s3 box I have on??

Which gear is the whine in?  

To be honest once you've opened it then the best approach is to change all the bearings and detent springs, plus all worn gears.  No doubt you know to avoid cheap pattern parts, and buy your bearings from a bearing supplier.  The cheap pattern parts are a much lower specification (speed, load and accuracy) than required.

G.

Thanks, Gazzar, yes, I will get decent bearings, hope I can get good gears as well!

Everything off the old bulkhead today, started wire brushing (on angle grinder) all the bits needing it, luckily no rain, then someone phoned, was dark when rang off, so no paint on!

It was great to take the old rusty bulkhead outside, and park it ready to go. sadly in such bad condition I don't think anyone would be interested in it. Despite the rust on the bulkhead, I was pleasantly surprised how virtually everything fixed to it was good, just needed cleaning and painting.  Will need new rubber grommets and blanking pieces though.

Lots of painting done, its not replacing the bulkhead, its all the wire brushing, cleaning and painting that takes the time.

And where to put them when painted - had to take her out last night cos I had covered the freezer in landy bits - whats the problem with that?

IMG_0549.JPG

Seems reasonable to me. 

Mindyou I get the impression she'd be happier if I didn't spend any time on Landrovers.

Maybe I should take up drinking and playing golf? 

G.

drink and golf would cost less than doing up an old landy!!!

With  the wind and the rain here i would just go somewhere dry and warm.

Had to re sheet the landy today after the wind last night.

Managed to get topcoat on vents etc, had to warm the paint in a basin of hot water, warm the parts with a hot air gun, then got a decent flow with the paint, finished off with a jenny brush. A technique i used when painting boats, if large area put on with a small roller, then flatted down with a jenny brush, then a few weeks later when it had really hardened if poss could polish it to a mirror finish.

But it is really satisfying to see the end result, nice clean bits ready to go on!