lynx diagnostic - question... (set harness switch to position A1)

ThreeSheds

I inherited a Lynx diagnostic thing with my disco2, but no instructions... In the past I have used it to reset fault codes, but now I am trying to program some keyfobs and it is telling me to:

"Set harness switch to position A1"

Does anyone know what this means? I have tried to download an instruction manual but just get 404 file not found. likewise searching for that phrase on google results in nothing sensible...

Help please!

Hi. I've no knowlege of the Lynx system. Have you used it before on your D2. The reason I ask is because the D2 TD5 is not OBD2 compliant if that is the type of diagnostics you have.

I have a Nanocom Evo and to code a key with this you have to turn the ign on (position 2). I wonder if that is what it means?

Regards,

Griff

Thanks for the reply, but I have used it before, also, the next instruction after the "set harness switch" one, is turn on the ignition :) 

If I ignore the harness instruction and switch on the ignition, then I get a "starting communication with the vehicle" (or something like that) which has a progress bar which never moves.

I have the battery on a charger as is instructs on startup. I have tried different USB ports and restarting the computer both with and without the lynx thing connected. I remember having trouble before and it suddenly just worked , but this time it has beaten me... I think I'll just buy another diagnostic tool (anything that isn't Britpart) and set fire to this one...

I wouldn't give up on it,maybe a software update is what it needs.Just remember its not made by Britpart,but made for them by Omitec. They took over from Hewlett Packard and developed the dealer tool, Testbook T4. Despite all the aftermarket trying its best to slag it off T4 is still a reliable and capable tool.I've had mine since 2003 and its still working well.

The point is Omitec never had to reverse engineer anything back then,they had full access to ALL LR products,(Plus Rover/MG too) so a TD5 was right in there when they were selling T4 worldwide.

The only downside is that Omitec never had a retail type mentality, I was lucky when I bought T4,and later their UCM system,which was also very good until its development stopped.I used to test new discs and give feedback,so I had direct contact with them.Not sure how it works now...

• Like 1

I use an old Macscan which is made by Omitec, the same as the Lynx scanner (looks identical but is red).  It was bought new in 2006 along with a box of leads to suit most popular models.  However, anything that uses the standard OBD port, including the Disco 2 has a lead with a switch box inline.  It has 2 rotary knobs marked A-L and 1-12.  When it asks you to switch to A1 that's what it refers to.  If you don't have that lead is there an option to select a different harness? The macscan often asks whether it's a 16pin lead/switchable lead etc. 

• Like 1

Useful info Dave - that makes perfect sense. The supplied lead has no switchbox, but is supposed to be bespoke for LR products so I think I can ignore the message as being a leftover from earlier times, and assume that the wire is set up correctly. On that basis it looks like that particular message is a red herring.

I will look for a software update and also uninstall/reinstall the software anyway, since I recall now that I had to use a different USB port each time I ran it and I have now run out of new ports ( :D yes-s I know that should make no difference, but...)

Thanks guys - your help has saved the Lynx from the fiery pit....

R

• 2 weeks later...

Hi threesheds,

did you get your Lynx to program your key fobs? I have a Lynx and it wouldn't program keys for me, it would just stop. So gave up and borrowed a mates Nanocom evo, couple of minutes later job all done. I emailed everyone I could for support but never got a reply.

Sorry for the late reply, been away and just catching up.

Cheers, James NZ

• 2 months later...

DID YOU GET THIS ISSUE RESOLVED AS I HAVE THE SAME THING WITH MY LYNX ,IT WORKED FINE THE ONLY 2 TIMES I USED IT ,GOT IT OUT THE OTHER DAY AND IT WONT COMUNICATE KEEPS COMING UP SWITCH HARNESS A1 ! ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS

Not resolved yet (this for the benefit of other readers - hicks and I are in direct communication.)

I wonder if ANYONE has one of these units that actually works correctly all the time?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm tricky. I did once have a Lynx (legacy) single vehicle system and it worked fine - but I never tried to do key fobs with it. I got rid of it partly because I heard Omitec were introducing their new evo tool - when I asked them they were ceasing support for the 'legacy' system. But as you've found it does make you wonder about the quality of such support anyway. And of course absolutely no help to all existing Lynx users.

But I did see a Landrover Toolbox video on Lynx and key fobs: 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiY2oa-4aLaAhXHUlAKHRoKBIoQtwIIKTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDDaXkWpRGrk&usg=AOvVaw00obkEb6SsIp5yd4xFH8a1

I don't know whether that addresses anything or just glosses the problem you have

• 4 weeks later...

i sent my unit back for repair ,it came back and within a day it had the same problem come up ,anyway i managed to get a reply from the makers and basically you have to re flash the harness chip ,go to the settings menu cog and spanner lol ,go imux harness ,get fw update ,it tells you to go in to reprogram mode by unplugging the unit from power supply be it car or what ever ,then plug back in ,now none of the led lights

come on and it will accept the update ,then all is good and back working for a bit :)