Play day: BUNNY LANE, Romsey, Sunday 28th Jan

This is such a brilliant site I won't bang on about it, hope to see a few people there!

Entry is £25 to members, £5 or £15 to join up on the day (or join online in advance to save doing paperwork on the gate).

Full details, permitted vehicles, etc.: http://www.shirelrc.com/event/play-day-bunny-lane-romsey/

Last time we had everything from a buggy on SIMCA portals to a Disco 4 and they all had a great time!

I've been a landy owner for a long time, but apart from a spot of light laning in the summer, working in the odd field and towing stuff about a farm here and there, I've never been done much off road. What's it like at one of these events for a beginner with an otherwise standard V8 109? It's not far from me (Basingstoke), so I'm very tempted to come along and have a go :)

/Ian

9 hours ago, lo-fi said:

I've been a landy owner for a long time, but apart from a spot of light laning in the summer, working in the odd field and towing stuff about a farm here and there, I've never been done much off road. What's it like at one of these events for a beginner with an otherwise standard V8 109? It's not far from me (Basingstoke), so I'm very tempted to come along and have a go :)

/Ian

The Shire lot are a friendly bunch with plenty of experienced members to watch and follow and ask questions. If there are any sections you don't like the look of you can just avoid them :). Or sit back and watch someone else drive them first.

10 hours ago, lo-fi said:

From what I remember, Bunny Lane is perfect for that (mind you, it's been a while). I'm sure you'll have fun!

Ian - it would be great to have you along, as Mike says if you make yourself known to one of the committee/marshals when you sign in someone will give you some guidance, take you round, or pair you up with someone helpful to show you the ropes.

Bunny lane is fine for newbies as there's plenty of space to trundle round and watch others, and there's plenty of "small" stuff to practice on.

There's no set course - drive where you like, avoid what you don't like!

As mentioned in my post, we had a SHINY NEW Disco 4 there last time, he had a whale of a time and the warranty was still intact when he left the site :lol:

Edit to add: I'll have to look out for you & your 109 round Basingstoke, I've got a 127 ambulance and V8 109, both of which you'd recognise if you passed them in the street ;)

Thanks gentlemen, it's in the diary :lol: I'll confess my newbieness on the gate and keep an eye out and hopefully our paths will cross. Help and guidance will be very gratefully received!

I'll keep an eye out locally too - blue 109 in the pic.

I'd best get lubricating those leaf springs, hadn't I... :ph34r:

Land Rover.PNG

Just a word of caution (doom and gloom munger), grandma mode on:

Everybody has to start from zero experience and there will be people to help, however there can be pitfalls.

Not everyone knows what they are talking about so if you are not sure do not allow yourself to be talked in to trying sometning if you are not happy to do it.

Second I have seen this more than once, novice starts the day cautiously then starts to learn and has fun, last drive of the day tries something over ambitous and writes the vehicle off.

Using a vehicle as a toy is a bit like betting, if you cant afford to lose it then don't do it (an obsticle not off roading as a whole).

If you follow some one who is driving a weekend toy and you are in a daily driver then you need to remember that they will have less concern for the consiquences than you.

Grandma mode off:

Have fun if I had finnished my build I would join in.

Sid - You're right about not listening to random people (at play days OR on the internet!) especially if they are pointing a camera and egging you on to do something...

However, a lot of the Shire marshals/committee have done LANTRA training among other things, and there are certain members who've been around since the dark ages and have their heads screwed on who are the ones we pick to help newcomers out, we don't just grab the nearest weekend warrior and throw newcomers in with them!

Or to put it another way - don't scare the poor chap too much! ;)

Thanks Sid, appreciate it. You're right, I can't afford to write it off, and need to be able to drive it home! Trashing her certainly isn't on the agenda - I'll probably be a bit over cautious tbh :ph34r:

Thanks for the clarification Fridge, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Sounds like I'm in good hands for a first outing.

Hehe! In a leafer too. Good on him!

One question... Is it best to fit some kind of recovery eye to the front? I don't intend on going nuts and get wing deep on mud or anything like that, but I'm bound get stuck somewhere and need a pull... If so, what kind without spending a fortune? 

Don't mean to scare anyone off or suggest Shire marshals are not trust worthy!

I guess I've been to too many AWDC playdays in the 80's and 90's where anything goes and lots of gung ho chaps wanting to destroy old wrecks.

Then agsin this is probably why the Shires can still get land tto use!

15 minutes ago, missingsid said:

Don't mean to scare anyone off or suggest Shire marshals are not trust worthy!

I guess I've been to too many AWDC playdays in the 80's and 90's where anything goes and lots of gung ho chaps wanting to destroy old wrecks.

Then agsin this is probably why the Shires can still get land tto use!

It's one of the main reasons I joined shires. Vehicles either need a current MoT or have an approved rollcage from the likes of the MSA or Ultra4 so it keeps out the banger types. 

On 06/01/2018 at 6:22 PM, missingsid said:

Yep, that's exactly the crowd we work very hard to keep out!

The club ethos has always been that people like Lo-Fi or a family in a shiny new D5 could turn up and have a good time without risking their vehicle and without any idiots screaming around the place with no regard for others.

We've got plenty who turn up in serious kit who play hard but they all know the score (or Mike puts them right in short order!) and they pretty much look after themselves.