Play day: BUNNY LANE, Romsey, Sunday 28th Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone I chatted with during the day seemed to be having a lovely time, Steve. People were just pottering about all over the place occasionally finding new and inventive ways to get stuck. The couple of times I got stuck myself, passers by were kind enough to offer help. Really relaxed, and really nice atmosphere in general. It was perfect for a newbie and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I'll be along again! Though I think my worst fears may have been realised, and a caged V8 "weekend toy" 88 may end up rising up from the heap of spare parts in my garage.... :D

• Like 2

i really wish there was a club like yours down here.

there is a few clubs sure, but the only one that purports to be newcomer friendly is just not friendly, end of story.

an example.

my first time out with them i got it stuck in a bog, i was at the time in a bog standard disco it was in excellent cosmetic condition.

i asked a guy to help tow me out, he agreed and promptly reversed his caged defender into my rear quarter panel DELIBERATELY as he couldn't be bothered to get it out of the rut so he reckoned he'd just use my car to stop him sliding further.  opened the quarter panel up like a tin can.

when i mentioned this to a steward he just shrugged.

sheer disregard for other peoples stuff and one of the reasons im not involved in any off road clubs any more.

theres pics of the damage and repair on here somewhere...

Edited by qwakers
  • Sad 1

Thanks Lo-Fi, it's good to get feedback that we're hopefully doing it right!

qwakers - that does indeed suck. Of course it's impossible to say that would never happen at one of our events as we can't police everyone all the time, but the atmosphere is generally a lot more grown up (even if the humour isn't) and even the "big boys" know how we conduct things and are generally very good at not playing too hard when others are nearby etc.

Maybe we can interest you in a weekend out?

Shire Land Rover Club 4x4 weekend - Cornwall 7th-8th April

I'm not 100% certain I'll be able to make that one but there'll be friendly folks there. Saturday is green laning, Saturday NIGHT we'll be running a fiendish night-time punch-hunt (or should that be glow-stick hunt?) in the woods, and Sunday is playing in the play site.

bush farm is a Brilliant site, you'll enjoy it im sure. ive only driven it once (2nd last time ever out in my discovery actually) but its quite big. and a fair amount of variety.

id love to join you but although the 4x4 in my car is now working its about on par with a freelander for off road ability and i would hate to scratch it... 

BlMneYz.jpg

53 minutes ago, qwakers said:

id love to join you but although the 4x4 in my car is now working its about on par with a freelander for off road ability and i would hate to scratch it...

If it's on a par with a Freelander you've got no worries then! Had at least 2 of them playing on Sunday:

IMGP9205.JPG

IMGP9077.JPG

IMGP9209.JPG

Thanks for the offer of marshalling but we're sorted on that front.

13 hours ago, qwakers said:

awwwww :( sure there's no room for one more? im always happy to help out and ill be honest, ive never driven it offroad, if you discount pulling trailers off fields.

Sure I'm afraid - we've got trained old hands with winch-equipped trucks, it wouldn't really fly to give a free pass to an unknown chap with an SUV!

You're more than welcome to pay yer money and come along and play the same as everyone else, it's only £50.

On 1/30/2018 at 10:19 AM, elbekko said:

That looks fun :huh: But I have a concert planned the day before, and it's probably a bit too crazy even for us to drive to Cornwall through the night to then drive all weekend and then drive back sunday night :rofl:

Challenge accepted :ph34r:

Really need to sort my Rangie, so I can come and play myself...