Road Tax

Anderzander

....but in return we get great road surfaces , good traffic flow and respect for our contribution to the economy and success of our great nation ...Errr , none of the above . the reality is only a small proportion of the annual VED gets ploughed back into the transport infrastructure , makes one feel warm inside doesn't it ....

Steve b

It started off as a disk to prove you had mot and insurance with a nominal fee to cover admin charges, then someone realised how much money they could make...

If you get a 110 pickup and its registered as a light goods it should only be £240 depending on year.

Edited by Cynic-al

^ they are the same thing, only "Road Tax" is the old farts term... Vehicle Excise Duty is modern posh for highway robbery :hysterical:

Got a feeling that of May this year there are going tobe a lot of very smug pre '79 owners.. 

21 hours ago, GBMUD said:

I don't think I have been paying road tax.  Is this something I should be paying in addition to Vehicle Excise Duty?  Am I likely to get into any trouble?

Worried of Sussex

Chris

Duty, tax, levy, charge, toll - same thing, bar some unimportant semantics.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

Duty, tax, levy, charge, toll - same thing, bar some unimportant semantics.

The unfortunate reality of the semantics is that many car drivers believe that bicycles should also pay "road tax" and that it should only be spent on fixing potholes and building more roads. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

But in this thread it doesn't matter.

I don't think bicycles should pay road tax. 

I think they should be banned and melted down to make more cars.

Thus generating more VED income which can be spent on more generous MP's expenses allowances and another 10% pay rise because they'e worth it.

Mo

• Like 1

Why don't you guys just vote for somebody that gets rid of these "road tax things" ?

Many, many countries have much - and I mean : much - higher taxes than the UK.

In Holland, I paid € 1700 a year for my LPG powered RRC...

France, a long time ago, got rid of the "road tax" and added a small amount to the fuelprice. Drive a lot - pay a lot, drive not a lot - you pay not a lot. Very simple really..

Start a motorist party that aims for 0 road tax....

Edited by Arjan

19 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Why don't you guys just vote for somebody that gets rid of these "road tax things" ?

Many, many countries have much - and I mean : much - higher taxes than the UK.

In Holland, I paid € 1700 a year for my LPG powered RRC...

France, a long time ago, got rid of the "road tax" and added a small amount to the fuelprice. Drive a lot - pay a lot, drive not a lot - you pay not a lot. Very simple really..

Start a motorist party that aims for 0 road tax....

It's daft to look at a small part of the tax burden on motorists. VED is a fixed charge that you pay annually regardless of mileage. In addition to VED motorists pay tax on lots of other things too, huge taxes on fuel, tax on insurance, tax on services and parts, tax on people going over the speed limit, tax for using some roads and so on.

VED is often a very small part of the overall tax burden and it's always odd to hear someone suggesting we should "get rid of VED and put the tax on fuel" given that we already pay nearly 60p per litre in tax PLUS we get charged 20% on top of that and the "untaxed" portion too. So in round figures, if you pay £1.20 for a litre of fuel (including VAT), 80p of that is going to the government as tax. Yet, still people suggest we should get rid of VED and add more onto fuel... like paying 66% tax on fuel isn't enough already.

While in principle the idea of replacing road tax with higher fuel duty seems very equitable, the drivers of heavy or theoretically polluting vehicles and those who use the roads most pay more than the occasional user of an efficient and small vehicle, it breaks down when a driver of a classic vehicle is penalised in tax as well as fuel cost for not driving a modern sewing machine.  It gets even worse with electric vehicles - while I can agree that the use of electric vehicles in cities brings some benefits, should electric car drivers benefit from the rest of us paying all their taxes?  Remember, a lot of people with older, less efficient cars can't afford new, while many of the electric owners have healthy finances.

I think it would be a lot fairer if they based the tax rate on the amount of computers that are integrated in the cars systems... that way the more basic the car the less you pay! And as a bonus all those eco friendly electric roller skates are multi computer controlled, further it would help wipe the smug look of an autonomous car owner:rolleyes:

There will never be a fair way to apply tax, someone will always moan... what about the classic car tax exemption, when they introduced it, it was for any car over 25 years old, and then the sale of 25 year old cars rocketed and they soon froze the age.. my RRC is 30 years old, why shouldn't I get free road tax? The new rules mean I've got to go another 10 years to qualify, and they'll more than likely drop that idea next year :angry:

Some time ago they were proposing a system of cameras / gps / computers monitoring distance travelled and sending you a monthly bill accordingly.

This I never understood. All that tech has to be made, installed, powered & housed, maintained and bills sent. This is bad for the environment. Putting it on the fuel means that the more efficient your vehicle is and less trips you make the less you pay. It negates the need for the technology and you can't get around it unless you pinch fuel. Some heavy operators like buses already get a rebate so that can carry on. I can't get on board with the "we're poor so we have to drive cheap cars that use lots of fuel" argument. You can get cars that do 50mpg+ for under £1000 and if they use less fuel they're saving you money.

I don't agree with free electric charging points, but as that becomes more established the government will take that away and tax the vehicles. They always offer an incentive to get something off the ground. Just like they've started doing with hybrids and the £35 rate has come and gone.

The government tax the motorist from every angle as it's easy revenue, after all we carry on driving so we must think it's worth it. They might say tax on fuel is for this, road tax is for that, national insurance is for something else however in reality it's just ways of trying to justify getting as much money into one pot as possible from as many people as possible.

What always amuses me is when people decide which car they're going to buy or a review considers one car better based on price of rfl, the two cars you want are £30 a year different, that's less than 60p a week, buy the car you like!

56 minutes ago, Cynic-al said:

I don't agree with free electric charging points, but as that becomes more established the government will take that away and tax the vehicles. They always offer an incentive to get something off the ground. Just like they've started doing with hybrids and the £35 rate has come and gone.

You are so right!

Remember when der management said everybody should drive diesels to conserve fuel reserves.... they've done a complete 180 there! While there is no disputing that electric cars are non polluting, the electricity that they run on isn't so clean... also we don't have a lot of spare electricity lying about to use in cars... if everyone converted to electric we'd get regular blackouts... it would be just the 70's again!

They would have to go for an economy 7 style scheme to encourage people to charge over night when demand is lower. There has been talk of smart chargers which take commands from a control centre and charge the cars when there is spare capacity and push it back into the grid when demand is high to help even out the fluctuation in output from wind etc. The problem is if you don't generate enough then you don't have charged cars in the morning. I'm sure the next step will be you get taxed unless your charging from renewables.

I know a couple with a leaf, they both work about 20 miles away, one on days, one on nights. In the summer it's not so much of a problem, there is a local free charging point not too far away so they have their lunch hour there milling around the shops whilst the car charges. The problem comes in the winter, the range drops to about 50 miles, they can't use the heater although if it's really cold they will sometimes give in and turn it upto 16 degrees. If the free charging point isn't available they're stuffed. They say the leaf was about £4000 more than a petrol equivalent and have just broken even with the fuel saving so now it's all profit :) The technology just isn't quite there yet...

I am getting on a bit now - and am just hoping that I can continue to afford to drive for the next ten years or so. After that it won't matter. But for me - I am just please to have lived through the golden age of cars - when I could drive what I  wanted and never think of the cost...

Blimey - as a normal working man, I used to do a daily 190 mile commute in an XJ6 at around 95mph... No radar, cheap tax and insurance, and around 12mpg... I don't  remember even thinking of the cost...

Then I look at the future - ever increasing tax, insurance and fuel prices, and electric self-driving cars.... I feel sorry for the upcoming generation of drivers.