Road Tax

Anderzander

4 minutes ago, ThreeSheds said:

I feel sorry for the upcoming generation of drivers.

There's barely any space to drive anyway! I live and work in rural Oxfordshire and in just the time I've been driving (since 2008) the volume of cars on the road as changed drastically (the same can also be said for all the bloody bicycles :angry: ). I hate to think what the roads will be like in the next 10 years! 

MAMILISUVs are my worry Ross !

Peter, thanks for the offer but I prefer my fez, Paisley smoking jacket, favourite Briar and some comfortable stockings. Though I NEVER wear these whilst out cycling, I must hasten to point out. Like lycra these should only be worn in the privacy of ones own drawing room in the company of like-minded chums.

Which reminds me that we must organise another forum Pipe and Stockings party.

Mo

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, landroversforever said:

There's barely any space to drive anyway! I live and work in rural Oxfordshire and in just the time I've been driving (since 2008) the volume of cars on the road as changed drastically (the same can also be said for all the bloody bicycles :angry: ). I hate to think what the roads will be like in the next 10 years! 

Agree with you there, I started driving in 1999 and you could enjoy driving, now I never go anywhere where I'm not in a queue. Since the recession people have started driving very slowly too, and as they're driving slowly their mind wanders and they look at anything other than through the front window. More people than the island can sustain.

I don't understand cyclist, I enjoy going out in the countryside on my bike but people keep telling me I should go further and faster for fitness. These people spend a fortune on bikes and clothes and ride in huge groups to minimise the effort taken to ride. Surely if your doing it for fitness you want to ride the shoddiest old bike down the roughest lane wearing the loosest flappy clothes possible looking around at the scenery so that you exert the same energy as going at 10mph for 5 miles rather than spending 4 hours doing 20mph on a busy road looking at the floor? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/01/2018 at 6:19 PM, Daan said:

We are lucky; it is a factor 10 more expensive in Holland.

Exactly - people moan about the UK but try talking to petrolheads in other countries where they're paying 10x the road tax, they're not allowed to modify anything, vehicles cost lots more to buy, the MOT is stricter (unbolt the shocks & test them individually, sir?) and the idea of something like an SVA or even a sanctioned engine swap is almost impossible.

So don't knock it too hard - they might change it, and it's unlikely to be for the better!

• Like 4

Thanks for all the PMs regarding attendance at the forum pipe and Stockings party, I will get round to answering them all but please bear with me as there are so many !

... and young Ross, one PM will suffice, you've sent so many you've clogged up my inbox. 

Mo 😉

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2018 at 12:24 PM, Anderzander said:

Our road tax keeps creeping up 😞

my Td5 was £285 in 2015, £290 in 2016, £295 in 2017, and now will be £305 in 2018.

Its getting ridiculous.

£315 this year...

I’m starting to think of the viability of keeping it long term ...

Whilst recognising we remain fortunate in comparison to some of our European cousins ...

I’ll be dead before it qualifies for the rolling 40 year exemption, and with the series getting closer, I’m starting to think I don’t want to be carrying these costs into my retirement...

You can see why people VIn swap them 😕