TIG helmet recommendations

Scotts90

Looking for opinions from those that have TIGs and what helmets they use. I currently have a Speedglas for the MIG with shade ranges 9-13 and find it  to be insensitive to the lower TIG currents

When I purchased my TIG almost 2yrs ago I bought a Parweld helmet meant to be suitable for low amp stuff...it's the most unreliable POS I've used and uncomfortable to boot. Been back to the company for sensor faults which in their defence they have replaced under warranty. Still have no confidence in the thing darkening when it should and have been flashed more times with it than in the 10yrs of using the Speedglas! It wasn't expensive at £40 and I suppose the adage of you get what you pay for rings true.

So, on the shortlist

Miller digital elite

lincoln electric 3350

ESAB A50

Not the cheapest and not the most expensive either...my TIGing needs all the help it can get so being able to see what I'm doing is a plus :ph34r:

Any opinions welcomed

I had a cheap welding helment. Lost it. Thought I'd treat my self and spend £60 on one. It was clearly the same carp as a £20 unit... Also kept cutting out (1/2 second arc flash). It was returned.

Then decided I liked my eyes (I have a Perspex lens in one eye - before that operation I could only see out of one eye - being 'one eyed' makes you realise how important that one last eye is....) drank a bottle of wine and ordered a speedglas unit. Cromwells was cheapest, you can get discount codes that work of the tinternet. 

It's superb. I can see the weld pool better, my eyes are strained less, and it's a quality bit of kit. Yes it's expensive and if you don't have the cash you don't have the cash. But if you can spring for it I'd recommend it. Everyone at the local college where I have been doing night school TIG welding has tried it and all thought it was a superb helmet.

Adrian

5 hours ago, Scotts90 said:

Came yesterday :D

image.thumb.jpeg.bf1a6d3c3f8c885190532ce7c8ec5d10.jpeg

Just looked up that model - very fancy :)

My Speedglass is pretty old (can't recall model) and has two twiddly knobs - one for adjustable shade and one for adjustable sensitivity.

5 hours ago, Scotts90 said:

had a brief play with the TIG, at last I can see the puddle lol