Turbo upgrade

Hi all , in the 2/3 years that I've been a member on here one of the frequently asked questions that pop up is how do I get more power from my 200/300tdi with turbo's being a part that crops up a lot . No ones looking to make them a race car but we'd all like them to keep up with the pace of the roads and modern driving . There's VNT and Hybrid turbo's available but these carry a high price tag and are out of most peoples reach , so while searching ebay I came across this upgrade from Turborebuild  which is just a chra that you install yourself but it's at a more affordable price . 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Billet-Hybrid-Turbo-CHRA-465171-465175-Land-Rover-Defender-Discovery-200TDi/391547266881?hash=item5b2a092741:g:7LsAAOSw-kdXxruN

So with my Christmas money I decided to treat myself ,take the plunge and buy one . I know someone has fitted one of these on the discovery forum because his turbo broke from another post and he said it made a lot of difference , but I thought I'd put my findings up on here for anyone else that's looking to do this sort of thing . 

Firstly to my set up , there wasn't anything wrong with my turbo its just an upgrade I wanted to try so any difference will be based against a working motor . I have a full width intercooler fitted , straight through center exhaust section , the fuel pin has been turned but I haven't tweaked the pump as such yet . So it arrived Wednesday nicely packaged up SAM_1152.thumb.JPG.b57e165dea65fb14b19faaa5360bcebb.JPGSAM_1153.thumb.JPG.cb7f85c69f100afdf3040a014ff1c733.JPG

and I will be fitting it tomorrow , so will put more posts up on fitting and any thoughts on whether its made any difference .

cheers Ian

Right didn't go into the shed as early as I'd hoped this morning combination of to much Guinness :wacko: last night and it being cold . So was lucky to find a used turbo on ebay that was listed for refurb so I brought that and stripped it prior to doing the upgrade and some kind soul had already removed the bolts holding the hot side on which was a bonus , both hot and cold side were okay no damage or cracks and I cleaned the off with paraffin , they came up pretty well.

SAM_1154.thumb.JPG.74e201e0af755040039c18b05846b6ec.JPGSAM_1156.thumb.JPG.ab278b2c47cd724751ed5afae9530d08.JPG

That's the one thing to be wary of the bolts that hold the hot side on , if your doing this to a vehicle that's used daily they are stuck pretty fast on my old turbo and might cause you problems which is why I brought a used one . My nephew who's a mechanic said they run the vehicle and get the turbo hot turn it off then carefully try and undo the bolts like that or heat if you've got it might help , and you'll need a pair of big circlip pliers for the cold side I've only got 7'' ones they took it out ok but had to put the circlip in the vice and squash it a bit so I could refit it .

Couple of pics of the chra , in the box you also get a new cold side seal , 2 new washer's for the oil pipe and a shringe of oil to inject into the turbo before 1st start up , it also give's you a list of do's and don't to follow if your turbo has given up .

SAM_1158.thumb.JPG.dc1b04bcfe3b4021cbb786dda3d6805c.JPGSAM_1159.thumb.JPG.ff9f504de81e38eba451e1a108342051.JPG

then it re-assembled

SAM_1160.thumb.JPG.eb13b314ab2ba2ba73cd9b4866dae6f9.JPGSAM_1162.thumb.JPG.fb90b8734d74bc11d87c2e0015e86641.JPGSAM_1163.thumb.JPG.c498bb826c7b2e8a863ac6830dee1967.JPG

It didn't take to long to re-assemble, then back on the motor

SAM_1165.thumb.JPG.d16605e5c02dae11bc556abe2ee9f85b.JPGSAM_1166.thumb.JPG.39acf38b07c21c46104059e91ca82ace.JPG

she spins nice and tight and freely in the housing , So turbo back on the motor as with all jobs the time consuming bits are normally the simplest bits getting everything to line up , the oil was dropped yesterday and left to drain over night then I filled her up before I finished tonight . I've still got the intercooler pipes and air filter to put back on as I found a hole in the lower metal pipe from the turbo to the intercooler it looks like it's been catching on the alternator fan , bit annoying because it never made any noise to indicate this and it was an ali aftermarket jobbie . So will get some tube from work tomorrow and fab a new one up due to them costing over £60 , but a simple enough job to do . So results of how it performs should be in later in the week all being well .

cheers Ian

5 hours ago, Wheels244 said:

I was looking at exactly these on eBay earlier Ian.

Has anyone got any views on the reputation of the supplier - are they reputable ? Use quality components ?

Thanks

Rob

I bought a CHRA from them and have not had any problems.  Been on the engine for a few years.

• Thanks 1

Well all fitted back together and Findings as follows .

17 hours ago, Scotts90 said:

Ooh the suspense... Lol

But just for Scott as he's enjoying the suspense :D lets set the scene , need to imagine Jeremy Clarkson saying this -

After months spent stripping , cleaning , cutting , grinding , welding then reassembling in a top secret location :ph34r: in the depths of Staffordshire , just to the right of the gnarelly old oak , half way up a hill on a rough gravel track Doris the Defender sat . The crowd of a flock of sheep , 3 crows ,2 rabbits ,a goose and a hedge hog waited in anticipation the driver turned the key - everyone waited , no sound .            '' oh s##t , the battery's flat ''  :rolleyes:

No seriously took her out for a run didn't mention above but boost is set to 1 bar , didn't push to hard because of the new turbo  but was impressed . It's still not a sports car but it accelerates quicker due to the quicker spooling of the turbo and it feels more spritely , if that's the wright word . Think if you have your fuel pump tweaked the you would probably notice it even more . So going to run it for the next few days then will post up what my thought's about the upgrade are then , if everyone wants ? Then at the weekend I might tweak the fuel pump to see what difference that makes or I have a fuel pin in the draw could fit that , but think I'd rather tweak the pump .

cheers Ian

• Like 2

Yes it is and its quite easy to install yourself , you just have to bear in mind that if you have trouble with the bolts on your turbo you may be without your truck for a few days . It will be more of a test over the next few days going back and forward to work , we live out in the country and I work up in Stoke so we'll see how it goes in a town situation .

Hi all , well have been riding about for 2 days now and I'm well happy , she accelerates more in all the gears when the turbo kicks in and gets down the road nicely . I've also found that before I'd get to 60 and then for want of a better word it was a chore to get to 70 but not know came across Meir heath today and she accelerated past 60 nicely and no massive surges on the EGT gauge :D . So the next step is to either tweak the injection pump or fit the fuel pin I've got in the draw ? Open to suggestions on this ! I have turned the star wheel so tweaking would just entail lifting the cap out the top and turning the bolt underneath , What's everyone's thoughts on this ?

Would just like to say please bear in mind that these are my finding's on my engine which was rebuilt and only been back in use for 10 months and you might not get the same results as me .

cheers Ian

All sounds good. Interested in where the EGT readings are heading - what temps are you getting when on boost and accelerating, and then sitting at cruising speeds - say 60mph with a slightly off-boost pressure? 

As for pump or pins - I'd start with the existing pin rotated to see where it's working best now you've improved the turbo, then if not happy swap to the other pin for a play around - its easier than messing with the pump and in fact the Morgan Hill type (afaik) assumes your pump is in standard set up and not messed with.