Turbo upgrade

It won't rev higher, even in a lower gear?  What gearbox, transfer case and tyres do you have?  3000 rpm at 70 mph sounds high.  A standard 200 or 300TDI Defender should be at 2800 rpm.  Have you checked your speedo against a GPS?

I would check your timing.  It is best to use a dial gauge, but at least check with the pin.

4 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

I think that I need to take the adjustments I’ve made back to stock and then adjust the max power screw and then adjust them again after . What’s the best way to remove the sleeve off the max power screw ? Undo the lock nut and remove the fitting the take the collar off or has someone got a better way .

cheers Ian 

No need to remove the collar IME. You can get at least 1.5 turns on that screw with the collar in place on the ones i have fiddled with. You wont need that much.

4 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

I think that I need to take the adjustments I’ve made back to stock and then adjust the max power screw and then adjust them again after . What’s the best way to remove the sleeve off the max power screw ? Undo the lock nut and remove the fitting the take the collar off or has someone got a better way .

cheers Ian 

No need to remove the collar IME. You can get at least 1.5 turns on that screw with the collar in place on the ones i have fiddled with. You wont need that much.

Cheers found an app, lm at work at the minute so doing this on the sly:D . It’s an r380 stumpy that I had from Ashcrofts but I have got a td5 speedo fitted . Just a thought forgot about this till tonight I fitted one of them boost rings to try when I tried the boost pin it’s supposed to advance the dynamic pump timing to allow fuel more time to burn, do you think that might cause problems now I’ve started playing with the pump ?

Do you know which stumpy?  There are two versions with different gearing.

Boost ring, hmmm.  Could be.  They are meant to make the top end better, not worse.  Will it rev to 4000 rpm in 3rd or fourth?  Maybe your base timing is too far advanced and the boost ring then goes too far and that is why the EGTs shoot up over 3000 rpm.  It is important that the base timing is not advanced with those rings.

So with all of these mods....could the tachometer be wrong as well?  Have you checked it?

1 hour ago, ianmayco68 said:

Cheers found an app, lm at work at the minute so doing this on the sly:D . It’s an r380 stumpy that I had from Ashcrofts but I have got a td5 speedo fitted . Just a thought forgot about this till tonight I fitted one of them boost rings to try when I tried the boost pin it’s supposed to advance the dynamic pump timing to allow fuel more time to burn, do you think that might cause problems now I’ve started playing with the pump ?

What’s a boost ring?

8 minutes ago, reb78 said:

I thought 3600 rpm was the max under load in the tdi. Mine won’t rev to 4000rpm no matter how hard I rag it. 

On a 200TDI, full is supposed to start cutting out at 3800 rpm and make 4100 to 4260 with no load.  If it is set right, the power should die at 3800.

The 300TDI, they say 4600 at no load, so should be somewhere over 4000 before the fuel cuts out.

Right had the gps speedo on my phone all the way home was spot on all the time . Tried the Rev experiment in 3rd got her to about 3800/3900 doing 45mph then I backed off , in 4th got her to about 3600/3700 doing about 60 mph . Didn’t go down the A50 tonight and try pushing her weather not too good, we’d had a bit off snow but it had froze car park was like a skating rink and just as I walked in the house it started snowing,was like a blizzard .

Looked on Ashcroft site only list one but you can have a higher 5th gear which  I didn’t, I think they supply the L suffix as standard . Did the speed test over mier heath again she got to 60 lovely 2800rpm EGT 450/500 but she won’t physically Rev anymore than 3000rpm in5th even with my foot to the floor which she will in every other gear , is this how it should be?

No, I don't think so :(

Revving it out to 3750 as about would stick you at 75mph ish... something's not right.

You can get cheap handheld digital tachos  which are great for checking in-car tach accuracy, if you are wondering about that.

But really, it should go faster than 60 unless you have a 1:1.667 transfer case installed.

No, it should happily go higher.  You should be able to do 85.  I would check your timing first.

The stumpy box is offered in early and late style gear configurations.  This impacts the fifth gear.  What I would suggest is in 4th gear checking your speed at 3000 rpm carefully and report back.  4th is always 1:1, so that will tell us if the tachometer is accurate or not and can also tell us what your 5th gear ratio is.

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/manual-gearboxes/short-bellhousing-r380.html

This type of R 380 was made with two ratio options, the type 50A and the 44A, the 50A has the lower gearing like the 50A LT77 and the 44A has the higher gearing like the type 56A 200 Tdi Defender LT77.

Edited by Red90

15 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

Right had the gps speedo on my phone all the way home was spot on all the time . Tried the Rev experiment in 3rd got her to about 3800/3900 doing 45mph then I backed off , in 4th got her to about 3600/3700 doing about 60 mph . Didn’t go down the A50 tonight and try pushing her weather not too good, we’d had a bit off snow but it had froze car park was like a skating rink and just as I walked in the house it started snowing,was like a blizzard .

Okay.  60 mph in 4th should be 3150 rpm.  So either your tachometer is wrong or your gearing is not what you think it is.

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/calc/ratio_calc.html

Capture.JPG

If the gearing is correct and the tacho is wrong by 750 rpm that doesn't bode well for the high revs of your engine.. somethings holding it back! Unless someone's been playing with the diffs.. might have higher ratio?

The higher ratio transfer box produces 3969 rpm at 60 in 4th gear

Are your tyres the correct size? smaller rolling diameter will have the same effect... 

Chap I brought it off used it to go shooting with his friends, he didn’t use it for anything else. Rev counter is a vdo unit goes upto 6000rpm could I have the switches wrong on the rear ? But humour me on this as I’m still learning, even if the gearing wrong and it won’t physically go any faster in 5th shouldn’t the engine still rev above 3000rpm upto 3800rpm when you put your foot to the floor?

VDO tachs need to be calibrated.   These is a screw in the side that is truned to get it right.  The DIP switches only get you in the ballpark.  You need to get a photo tachometer or borrow one to measure the actual engine speed and then adjust the tachometer.

Yes, it should rev freely until the governor cuts the fuel.  This can be a timing issue or a fueling issue.  since your EGT go high, it is a timing issue.