Turbo upgrade

Have you checked the the cam belt timing? From what you're describing, and remembering the initial fault, is it not conceivable that the belt is out and someone adjusted the pump timing to get it to run... you have now set the pump to its original position and the engine to TDC, but if the cam belt is out you will make things worse not better... Personally I'd pop the cover off and check that the belt is timed properly before resetting the pump timing... After all that is unlikely to be out unless there has been a replacement pump fitted, where as an incorrect cam belt install is much more likely.

I set it all up when with a friend who new what they where doing when I rebuilt the engine 2 yrs ago and rebuilt the truck but she wasn’t put on the road till April last year , she ran lovely to start with then the last 4 months she started running a bit off put it down to fuel problems , tank sender , lift pump which I changed and I started getting fuel come back up no1 injector but put it down to loose/ bad injector but wondering now if the belt might have slipped and put timing out . Will strip it down and check tomorrow.

cheers Ian 

It's timed with the crank at TDC on No.1 so pull No.1 Inj. and once near to TDC use a probe to determine exact TDC being mindful of the angle the probe will be at to the piston travel . It sounds like the timing between the crank / cam /FIP is not right as Red90 has said . I've been following this thread Ian with some interest so it will be good to see a fix to this issue and get a better idea of the upgrade

cheers

Steve b

Did you definitely get the slot for TDC in the flywheel? There are often two slots. On the 200tdi there’s a mark on the crank damper that roughly lines up with a casting mark on the timing cover when you’re in the right place. 

Edited by reb78

Must have got the wrong slot 1st time round, just redone it and it’s running sweet , well I think.  Can’t test the revs because the tachometer hasn’t come, so going to put her back together and take her for a run , but won’t be going to fast as it’s snowing like bugger here . Cheers all for the help will know over the next week whether that’s sorted it. 

Cheers Ian

• Like 1

Here's the picies as promised , 

SAM_1167.thumb.JPG.1dd3816446b6203881c68210c30942c1.JPGSAM_1168.thumb.JPG.5e8436feeaab132eac62e70b636c3429.JPG

it was still snowing when I took those but you can't see it as it was fine , its turned to sleet now and they've forcast rain later . Just finished putting her back together having a cup of tea then I'm off to take her for a run .

Ok took her for a run couldn't go at any great speed as the roads are all slushy and very slippy as I found out :D , she sounds and starts better but the revs are too high she's idling at about a 1000rpm when warm but will wait to adjust that when the hand held tacho comes tomorrow hopefully as I can't be sure if the rev counter is calibrated correctly . on that score where's best to put the luminous strip that the tacho reads ? I'm on mornings next week so I'll come back down the A50 and see what sort of speed she'll get up to now , will re-do some of the other tests when I've checked the rev counter .

cheers Ian

44 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

On the crank pulley will be great :)

I just new some one was going to say that , ahh well off with the cowling and viscous fan when it comes .

28 minutes ago, cackshifter said:

Good effort considering the weather!

Thank you was a bit worried when I 1st started her up , had grey smoke then black when accelerating thought s### but after a minute it cleared and wasn't any smoke at all , so will see next week how she goes .

cheers Ian

Well didn't do anything I planed yesterday tacho never came or today and had to fetch the father in law from hospital been in over the weekend . But today filled her at the Esso station by work then took her for a blast down the A50 and she goes a lot better but I have removed the boost ring , mother in law even commented yesterday as she normally hers me leave at about 5am for work that she sounded a lot quieter , so she accelerates a lot smoother now and got her up to 77mph at about 3000/3100 revs and felt there was more there, even got to 60 in 4th which she wouldn't do before . Still need to check the rev counter when the hand held tacho eventually arrives and I think I will need to adjust idle and reset cable , so think the plan will be reverse the tweaks on the pump I have done hopefully the tacho will have come by then so the rev counter will be set ok , take her for a run and see how she goes then refit the boost ring test again . Then start by adjusting the max power screw and take it from there with the other adjustments , unless anyone thinks I should do it another way . 

thanks for all the help everyone looks like it may be sorted Ian

• Thanks 1

Hi cackshifter , problem was there before I fitted the new 200tdi turbo chra . I new she wasn’t running rite but couldn’t fathom what was wrong or if I was just imagining it , I’m still new to this game it wasn’t till I posted up some findings when Red90 said he thought that my gearing or fip timing may be out so we started checking with the easiest first  . So yes she’s running bettter now than before I fitted the new chra and I guess it wouldn’t rev because the fip timing was out enough to affect the performance but not enough to cause it to run to bad .

cheers Ian