Turbo upgrade

1 hour ago, Yostumpy said:

it will be very hard to be subjective about the new turbo's benefits, oui?

Probably , all I can say is the truck wasn't running that bad , I still had 70 out of her down the A50 but the revs were higher than they should have been , and the egt' rose after a certain point , I'm still happy that the turbo is an improvement , but a valid point . So to the people reading and following this do you all think it's worth continuing with my thought's on this CHRA or do you think it's pretty meaningless in light of the fip timing being slightly out ?

cheers Ian

Will continue with the thread then if people are interested . I can find out by refitting it later, but possibly they originally were fitted to cummins bosch pumps I believe and adjust the dynamic timing , allowing the fuel more time to burn if I understand it rite . So if the fip timing is out it could throw it out farther I'd imagine , and my hand held tacho still hasn't come might as well have ordered the damn thing from China and saved a fiver .

• Like 1

yes, by all means, please do continue.  Its always interesting reading about other peoples tinkerings.  'A man who has never made a mistake, has never made anything'.. Interesting, that you say....I still had 70 out of her down the A50 but the revs were higher than they should have been , ..  well how can that be?? it is impossible to rev higher than it should , for a given speed, unless the gearing is wrong, or the clutch is slipping.......impossible. Am I wrong?

Are you ever so slightly tempted to swap the turbo back, just to make a comparison now its running right?

Edited by Yostumpy

That's what we were trying to establish whether the gearing was wrong or the fip timing was out also when my hand held tacho finally gets here I can check if the rev counter is calibrated correctly , I've already established that the speedo is ok using a GPS app on my phone . What I should have said was that the rev counter was showing the revs to be higher than what they should be at a given speed with normal gearing , as per the graph provided by Red90 on page 3 . So when I check the rev counter and set it if needed I can do the rev speed tests again to check if all's ok .

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, ballcock said:

Reviving an old thread as my turbo has just thrown it's toys out, what was the consensus on these hybrid turbos, are they worth fitting or no extra benefit?

Hi i replaced mine with a hybrid turbo as the oil seals had gone on my old one and i would not say its any more powerful ( still standard boost ) but i find it has made the lump far more pleasurable to drive low down the in the rev range as it comes on boost earlier. 

Forgot all about this thread , how bad is it ballcock? As this was for an uprated chra cost £275 from turbo rebuild off eBay. But my opinion for what it’s worth , if you’re buying a new turbo then I’d go for a vnt one , as there’s not much in the price, if you’re fitting a new chra and doing it yourself then yes , turbo spools up quicker and gives more lower down .

9 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

Forgot all about this thread , how bad is it ballcock? As this was for an uprated chra cost £275 from turbo rebuild off eBay. But my opinion for what it’s worth , if you’re buying a new turbo then I’d go for a vnt one , as there’s not much in the price, if you’re fitting a new chra and doing it yourself then yes , turbo spools up quicker and gives more lower down .

Unfortunately it needs replacing, although I have a turbo off a Discovery 200 TDi it's the wrong orientation. If having to strip two apart to make a serviceable unit. I just wondered if it would be more beneficial to bite the bullet and buy a new cartridge. As a side question what size are the bolts holding the cartridge to the exhaust side as they seem to be a little shy of 13mm but a bit bigger than 12mm?

6 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

I was referring to new hybrid versus new vnt. Should have been clearer..

You are mixing up apples and orange.  A "real" hybrid uses a different turbine size or compressor size with the other half being stock.  Those intent with then is to produce more boost and allow higher peak power.  The "hybrid" discussed here with the CHRA is simple a newer compressor wheel, not a larger one.  It may run a touch more efficient, but won't produce more boost.  The choice between a true hybrid and a VNT depends if you want more power or a lower torque curve.  They are completely different outcomes.

I think there imperial ballcock, what ever size is between 12/13mm , I think you can turn the cold side housing to match the defender one but I’m not sure on this . 

The chra what I fitted and discussed here was larger in the fact it was an 11 blade design and lighter not a 9 blade as a standard one .

15 hours ago, ballcock said:

Unfortunately it needs replacing, although I have a turbo off a Discovery 200 TDi it's the wrong orientation. If having to strip two apart to make a serviceable unit. I just wondered if it would be more beneficial to bite the bullet and buy a new cartridge. As a side question what size are the bolts holding the cartridge to the exhaust side as they seem to be a little shy of 13mm but a bit bigger than 12mm?

I did this job just last night! 1/2 inch was a tight fit and is what I used. There is no way they were going to come undone without rounding off with the open end of the spanner (all you can get on) when cold. I heated up the area around the bolt with my MAPP gas torch and they then came undone pretty easily.

I had the whole thing stripped and cleaned in an hour and a half. You will need some fairly decent cir clip pliers to get that big cir clip out and I would advise freeing it up with a hammer and punch first. I also found it easier to use some mole grips on the circlip pliers to hold them shut when getting it out

I had tried a 1/2" AF but it was as loose as a 13mm ,  I then tried an old 1/2" AF ring spanner which fitted perfectly I snapped one bolt undid 2 but the last has rounded off so I shall cut the head off as I only want the cartridge. 1/2" AF should be 12.7mm but the tolerances on some are just too much. Will take more care dismantling the Defender one. Still haven't decided whether to get a new hybrid unit. 

Thought I was winning tonight until a stud snapped in the exhaust manifold holding the turbo no. Then snapped the stud off flush with the manifold... Joy! I had a brand new spare manifold so decided to get that out and drill for the egt. Pictures here for positioning which shows you can get it right in the middle of all four exhaust port flows. We'll almost in the middle! 😁 

DSC_1147.thumb.JPG.a6cd9eb81d70c06497656d612da7b90c.JPGDSC_1148.thumb.JPG.f8e8110a43d7e4d81e2b3a23d1606b69.JPG

• Like 2