RRC Tow Brace Bar Bolts [STUCK]

Shackleton

Both bolts sheared at the nut, they're both badly corroded and won't budge. I don't have an acetylene torch so I can't get enough heat into them. Big hammers and punches, my little butane/propane torch, cheapo penetrating fluid.... not surprising nothing's working for me. I'll break out a drill but it's such a long way across a chassis, twice :D 

Pretty sure the chassis isn't threaded for these bolts but am I imagining that they can be of tight enough tolerance that they need to be screwed in/out? Don't want waste energy wailing on them if they're threaded. I worked the bolts heads until there was nothing left and now I've ground off all protruding metal so that I'm not punching a head onto what's left.

Any suggestions? 

Yes, not threaded.

Cut the lower section of tube out the chassis, and then smack the bolt out.

If it it is that stuck then the tube will be scrapped or too weak to use as a mounting point anyways.

Replace the stuff you cut out with a new piece of suitably sized pipe.

Thanks lads. Seriously thought of doing that with the pipe this arvo, just held back. It's prob the only option at this point.

Have just seen talk of this 50:50 acetone/ATF mix idea and figure I might as well make up a batch. Have plenty of linkage bolts to free up for general maintenance anyway.

I tried drilling them out once, went a bit off angle and ended up poking the drill out the underside of the tube... so also not the best plan.

Just slitting it open at the bottom and then welding it up again after getting the bolt out should do I think.

The early disco tow bar is the same item that was fitted to the RRc, the bolts  go through the chassis which is braced in manufacturing by welding a metal tube through the chassis .

http://www.allbrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=815874&SPRACHE=EN

http://www.allbrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=815901&SPRACHE=EN

Edited by teabag

12 hours ago, Shackleton said:

Have just seen talk of this 50:50 acetone/ATF mix

I have never yet had any form, type, or mix of penetrating fluid do any good on these bolts.

I have tried on an RRC (I cut them out and replaced them in the end), a Disco 1 (gave up and scrapped it before ever getting them out) and my current Disco 2 (going to take it to a local friendly garage for  a  bit of thermal help).

IMHO oxy is the only guaranteed answer without cutting. 

Good luck! :)

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

Just slitting it open at the bottom and then welding it up again after getting the bolt out should do I think.

That's a nice halfway house Ben! Will do that first.

24 minutes ago, teabag said:

The early disco tow bar is the same item that was fitted to the RRc

Thanks teabag. Funny the whole reason I took it off in the first place is to fit a D2 NAS receiver setup. It fits if you extend the brace bars by even 10mm or so and use blots at the chassis rear cross member [need to be about 10mm longer also]. The NAS unit is much less obstructive both aesthetically and for departure angle yet is rated for 3500kg just the same. 

48 minutes ago, ThreeSheds said:

IMHO oxy is the only guaranteed answer without cutting. 

Good luck! :)

I want one [an oxy setup]. Badly.

What you could try is what I use on seized suspension arm bolts on Disco 3/4 and RR Sport's. An air chisel with the end cut of as a blunt punch.With the cars I mentioned I use a short piece of rubber hose as a guide,works VERY well to literally jack hammer the bolts out of the bushes they rust into.No heat needed,just ear protection. I think Sykes Picavant have cottened on to how well it works and do a kit for it now,I've been using the method for years.First did it with an actual jack hammer to remove the lower pin on a Matbro materials handler,think it was a 2 1/2" dia pin...

13 hours ago, Ally V8 said:

First did it with an actual jack hammer to remove the lower pin...

:lol: that's deadly Ally. I would have loved that today. And great idea with the air chisel - there's a compressor to hand but I don't have air tools [yet]. Don't have a set for using cylinders of any sort of gas either qwakers, I'm still building up my arsenal ;)

Got both out today though thank fudge. It only took about three hours, on top of all the other attempts over the last few days. I used Ben's grinder suggestion. It took two zips on the O/S and three on the N/S, plus a lot of swinging a lump hammer at a substantial punch I borrowed from the Iranian mechanic next door. Got a couple of banjaxed belt tensioners while I was in with him that I'm going to use the springs from in the build of a sheet metal brake too, so score!

Anyway thanks for the tips gents, and ref for anyone who finds this; there was a gap in the factory welds on the tube on both sides of my chassis. Assuming it's possibe to get the tube sealed when the bolts are in and tight [I know it'd be hit and miss] this undermines the whole thing. I zipped along the bolt tube and weld up the cuts afterward...

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg