1948 Amsterdam display vehicle restoration

Snagger

One of the three 80" displayed on the launch of Land Rover at the 1948 Amsterdam Motor Show has been scooped up by LR for restoration at Solihull.  Apparently, it spent over 20 years dead in a Welsh field, so it's a wonder it survived at all.  It's amazing what turns up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/classic/land-rover-1948-show-car-restored-missing-63-years/

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

It's on a galvy chassis, can't need all that much doing...

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Shame they're restoring it, looks excellent as it is IMHO.

I think they put it on the chassis for the pics, this is how they found it, and it looks like the original chassis is broken in two...

large.4A79FB17-B0B2-4167-B3AC-7F5CD06BB5A7.jpeg.f4b3684ea33ecfe9751208eaf26a5382.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/01/2018 at 7:59 PM, SteveG said:

I think they put it on the chassis for the pics, this is how they found it, and it looks like the original chassis is broken in two...

large.4A79FB17-B0B2-4167-B3AC-7F5CD06BB5A7.jpeg.f4b3684ea33ecfe9751208eaf26a5382.jpeg

I think this one is JUE477 pictured up in the North East. - It is chassis No, 1  recently sold through closed bids.

• 3 weeks later...

I presume if I suggest fitting a V8 and some super swampy knobbly tyres, then people will realise I'm joking?

Glad to see a proper pioneer given the recognition it deserves.

I seem to remember reading an article about this rover in LRO, about ooh 15-20 years ago. The owner turned up at Billing with it and said he was going to do a full restoration on it. He thought that because the chassis No started 86 that it was an 86 rather than an 80 which would seem a reasonable presumption