Ignition wiring to heater motor

Ive studied the various threads and about the above but not seen a similar fault. Every 3-5 years I have to replace my ignition switch/lock 

. Its a 1990 v8, all the circuit diags show a wire from the ignition to the fuse box then to the heater motor. On all the failed ignition switches its this terminal that appears to melt, the back of the switch gets all loose and wobbly then you have to change it.

The wire itself to the fuse box seems pretty thin gauge, though it never blows the fuse the fuse itself is also a touch on the brown singed looking side.

Anyone else seen this fault, I'm tempted to run a new wire in to the fuse box from a better switched feed.

Its the issue of the switch burning itself out each time, the heater motor seems to draw 4 amps but its a thin gauge wire and isn't brown or brown with an orange trace. It appears to be white with an orange or red trace?

When I replace the ignition switch and lock I'll take my fuse box off the bulkhead and check the wire colours on either side of the fuse

• 3 weeks later...

I just put my 1989 2.5 TD back together after replacing the head gasket. I tried to start it up, and instead of hearing the starter motor crank, I see smoke rising from behind the steering wheel and smell electrical burning smell. I'll pull out the ignition switch and give an update. What else might cause this? 

You are my Landy hero! I knew I connected it but just checked to make sure the connectors weren't contacting the block... #4 plug connector was indeed touching the block. Bent it out and tried to start. Vroom!!!

So awesome... never expected it to fire right up after my first head gasket job... it purrs and no smoke at all.

Thank you sir!