Adjusting differential selector on LT230T transfer Box

Troll Hunter

Many thanks to David Sparkes and Bowie69 for supplying links to the LT230T transfer box manual, where I hoped to find adjutment details for the box differential lock selector.  Dead out of luck:(!  The linkage appears to be quite straightforward, but mine has so much play in it that no matter how I adjust the central pivot I cannot fully move from one position to the other.  The photos below show the problem.

The vertical operating lever, which is pivoted about a third of the way from the top. The top connection shows virtually zero play, since the nut and bolt cann be seured well.  The intermediate connection is located by two plastic bushes.  There is zero radial play at the bushes but the whole shaft can twist due to the poor fixing design for the shaft on its pivot.  There is no means of tightening this bush and pivot design to prevent the play.

DSCN0887.thumb.JPG.5cf8f3a0f7069617c23877910bb04b12.JPG

As far anticlockwise that the lever will move the selector.  

DSCN0888.thumb.JPG.4238e2f17ba27eef3330e31a06a68e8d.JPG

Anticlockwise to where I believe it should go:

DSCN0889.thumb.JPG.b4100b9416372a7e8aaf14a21b6daa06.JPG

As far clockwise as the lever will move the selector:   Due to the poor design of the bottom link, coupled with the play at the intermediate pivot, the selector does not rotate the required amount.

DSCN0890.thumb.JPG.5a13373fafab121b6c9bbc1a83528548.JPG

Where I believe the selector should rotate to clockwise:

DSCN0891.thumb.JPG.cc6305742f2d9ccde44cff0226b2ff1a.JPG

As can be seen, due to aggregated slop in the system the selector will not move the required amount.  If I lengthen the intermediate pivot then the selector will rotate to the correct clockwise position, but totally fails anticlockwise, and if I shorten the intermediate pivot the opposite occurs.

I Irealise that I could replace the sloppy bottom link with a horizontal, rigid bar welded to the vertical leg.  I'm sure this would help, but what about the twisting at the intermediate pivot?

I know that I cannot be the first to experience this problem, so how have others tackled it, please?

Many thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Mike

Your top photo looks a bit odd, now I'll try explain, the hi-low selector collar, you should be able to see the splines of the selector shaft poking this side of the collar, it seems to have slipped back into the housing on yours, you need to slacken off the retaining bolt and push the lever over to the right more then re-tighten it up... if you look carefully you can see what I mean on the first picture of my post, although the collar and splined shaft is a bit hidden behind the other linkage parts... - I don't think you're getting the full throw of the lever.

Also worth replacing some of the plastic shim washers, helped for me.

Now this made me chuckle - the first hit in a google search for diff lock linkage was one of my old original posts!...

Many thanks for the tips. 

Red90, which of the three clicks do I need to use, the centre and clockwise or the centre and anticlockwise?

Maverick, in your linked post you imply that there should be three positions.  Are there three clicks, or is neutral just the area between On and Off?

QUOTE:

"While I can get hi - low no problem, the actual diff lock "on-neutral-off" doesn't engage properly either side of this, it sits fine in neutral, the only way I can get a positive lock in either 'on' or 'off' is when I put a socket on the locking nut and do it that way."

Also, what publication is the parts page from, please?

Mike

There is no neutral.  It is unlocked, locked.  The third "click" is just because there is no stop in that direction.  I can't recall what is what but I think it is in the locked direction.  Just try each spot and see where it is locked and not locked.

Part time is horrible.  It ruins a major capability of these vehicles.

Problem solved!  Red90, you put your finger on it, thank you.  I was expecting more rotation of the differential selector than required.  After tightening everything up, from top to bottom, and connecting to my battery, the "Engaged" light comes on and off as it should, and checking the two output shafts they are locked together when they should be, and free when they should be.  I'll still replace the two plastic bushes on the intermediate swivel if somebody can give me the part number, please.  I note, Maverick, that those parts are not even shown on the parts page included in you earlier post.

Mike

• 3 years later...