My defender broke down and not sure what to do or what might have caused it

Hey guys, my defender has broken down and do not know where to start troubleshooting. It was driving normally until I turned it off for 15 mins and when I turned it back on it had a bad knocking sound coming from the engine bay, I thought I might make it home, started driving and the noise got louder and eventually engine cut out about 5kms down the road, had to get a tow truck back home. It still cranks over, It is a 1996 300tdi with 260000kms on it. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

You can remove the rocker cover easily to see if a rocker arm has broken. If nothing there then it may be related to the timing belt. Did the knocking noise happen when you cranked the engine? Although don't crank it over any more just in case.

This video shows you how to remove the cover:

At the bottom of the timing belt cover there is a small hole, get a thin stiff length of wire and make a small hook, push it into the hole and carefully poke around, again carefully remove it and see if it brings out anything that could be belt material? This will give you an idea if the timing belt has gone without taking it to bits. Just a thought to try?

Cheers Andy