Power steering leak

I had power steering fitted to my defender 90 2.5n/a on a 1992 plate ex MOD

The power steering leaks from the top of the steering box where the pipes join from the fluid reservoir. 

Im guessing the garage didn’t have / fit washers as I didn’t supply them and I’m guessing I need washers under the nuts on the pipes to the steering box? If this is the case, does anyone know what washers I need and where I can get them? 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

No washers there that I know to , there should be O rings on the end of the pipe fittings . Did you use genuine Land rover pipes or did you have them made up ?

cheers Ian

I used genuine Land Rover pipes but from a spares place. I’m guessing the O rings aren’t in place but I’ll double check. Any ideas where I can get some?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, ianmayco68 said:

Were they brand new ? or by spares place do you mean a breakers .They're just standard rubber O rings don't know what size , what engine were they off a 200tdi ? also check they've been tightened up enough . 

Spares / breaker parts. 

Sounds simple enough then, I’ve tweaked them tighter previously but still leaking. I’ll try to have a measure up and get some O rings for it. 

If they are off a 200tdi or newer (I think) the part numbers are

QYX100280 AND RTC4825

but also check the pipes were they are attached to the reservoir they are held on by jubilee clips they might need tightening . also check the bleed nipple on the top of the box that might not of been tightened up properly after they bled it .

1 hour ago, ianmayco68 said:

If they are off a 200tdi or newer (I think) the part numbers are

QYX100280 AND RTC4825

but also check the pipes were they are attached to the reservoir they are held on by jubilee clips they might need tightening . also check the bleed nipple on the top of the box that might not of been tightened up properly after they bled it .

Thanks

It’s a 2.5 n/a, I’m assuming The stuff came off another 2.5n/a. 

Already checked the jubilees and they’re good, I’ll check the bleed also though. 

I bought a set of assorted o rings that has served me very well for my 2.5na. Make sure they are durable for oil and diesel. I’ll try find the ones I got, I’m sure there’s a brand name.

20 hours ago, DC_ said:

Ive ordered a box of O rings, hopefully I’ll get around to completing it this weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes but great help all, thanks. 

• Thanks 1

On 15/01/2018 at 9:13 PM, DC_ said:

I had a closer inspection of the pipes this morning and this is what I found. The nuts are not close to the body and appear to be at a slight angle. The o rings I purchased won’t bridge that huge gap. What can I do to rectify this? Ps mental note, must check garages work in the future!!! 

9B585791-742C-44F2-AB51-E05AB12D165A.jpeg

Edited by 14Platoon

1 minute ago, western said:

I don't remember any 'O' rings on my PAS pipe connections, pretty sure the pipes have a domed end & matching seat in the steering box. haven't found ant 'O' ring seals listed in my 110's parts book.

Oh ok? Wonder why these are leaking then, they seem pretty tight to be honest. 

40 minutes ago, DC_ said:

Just went out in the -5 weather, it’s actually a beauty of a night here. 

Mines look like this and no leaks bud.....

B436F9E0-395B-498A-A5B2-6DE4A768D13A.jpeg

Oh ok, looks about the same then. Wonder why mine’s leaking? Might try to tighten it again but don’t want to overdo it! 

3 hours ago, 14Platoon said:

I had a closer inspection of the pipes this morning and this is what I found. The nuts are not close to the body and appear to be at a slight angle. The o rings I purchased won’t bridge that huge gap. What can I do to rectify this? Ps mental note, must check garages work in the future!!! 

That's why most people do it themselves. It's certainly why I do. 

Mo

• Like 1