V8 oil change

mad_pete

Okay my Landy does modest mileage. Since last year probably less than 1000 miles. Oil still looks good, nice and golden. 4.2 Rover v8. Still change at the yearly service or is this batch good for a bit more ? I am thinking about getting the camshaft done so maybe wait till then. Maybe I’m answering my own question.....

Does the oil go off over time though? I base all of my servicing on mileage rather than time for oils (belts that may degrade are a different matter), but then I do so many miles, it would be hard to get anywhere near the service time intervals on the 110.

51 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Does the oil go off over time though?

It sure does Richard. Oil contains all sorts of aditives designed to reduce wear and corrosion which are conumed over time/mileage. So if you only do low mileage and the oil still looks okay I would change it regardless at least once a year on a Land Rover. In FridgeFreezer's words - Why wouldn't you?

It seems like I only have to drive down the road after an oil change and my 19J makes the oil look like black ink!