2001 Defender heating controls jammed solid

Good evening everyone, I'm new to the world of the Defender having purchased my first one on Sunday. I know the heaters in these things are renowned for being woeful, however my heater control lever is jammed solid, with no movement whatsoever available. Has anyone encountered this before, and have any tips on how to free it? Many thanks in advance.

Hi Red, its just the temperature control which is jammed solid, I've only got 2 heater levers. Although it appears to be jammed on full heat, it doesn't seem to be kicking out much heat at all.

Edited by Fox Four

Okay.  Have a look under the bonnet and locate the heater box on the passenger side.  On the top of the box, you should see a cable connected to a lever.  Check and see if it is connected or if there is any reason is might be jammed.  The hot position should have the cable pushing as far as possible.  Cold is pulling.

If that looks okay, loosen the clamp on the cable and see if the lever will move now.  If it is the cable that is stuck, I would get a new cable.  They are very cheap new.  If you change the cable, plan to lubricate the lever mechanism at the same time.

There should be two levers on the outside.  One for heat control and one for the demist vents.  On the inside should be a single lever for the fan speed.

If anything looks strange, take a photo and post it up.

TD5heater%20002.jpg

Edited by Red90

Hi I've been doing some heater repairs myself. The levers at the dash can stick you will need to dismantle some of the dash and see if anything is out of place. As Red90 had said check the cables on th heater box it's self. Western's write up will help you also. I dismantled a heater box the heat does not actually get turned off, the heat is deflected by flaps working via the cables.

Many thanks everyone, you obvs know your stuff! Disconnected the cable from the lever on the control box, worked the flap with WD40 and that was sorted. Then removed heater controls themselves to realise they had seized. Worked those with WD40 until they freed, now toasty warm. Thank you for all your help. Never owned one before so still on the learning curve.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...