cutting nobbles off simex ET2's

Chris Abel

Ive been looking at various tyres for my Portal axled Range Rover and i was thinking about buying some simex ET2's and cutting some of the center nobbles off. Would that make the tyre ilegal for Road use? I know that you can re-cut truck tyres so whats the diffrence?

i've no idear what it is but theres a ratio of rubber to groove that tyre manufactures complie to ie yokohama AO32R's a road/race tyre for mini's (road legal) have big flat blocks of rubber for traction but this means the grooves are about 10mm wide where as a normal road tyre has small blocks of rubber but lots of 3mm grooves.

also truck tyres are marked up on the side wall as regrooveable and i think it maybe ilegal to regroove a normal tyre unless so marked. your best bet is to speak to your friendly MOT man see what he says :blink:

that wasn't much help really was it hey ho :ph34r:

mike

not legal for on-road use, but you could say they were knocked off whilst off-roading! :D:blink::blink:

sorry meant to add that re-grooved tyres are illegal for cars or utility vehicles under 3500KG, so just put 1500KG's in the back for on-road use and you should be ok ^_^

Steve

Sorry but why would this not be road legal? Its an unusual wear pattern (not sure how it is induced and would be keen to learn more) but the tyre still maintains adequate tread across the tyre and around the circumference. It is also not regroving as it it only the tread block that has been worn away, not the base carcass being cut into.

look I'm not being an areshole and saying this is illegal you should not do it.

Could you get away with it? - yes most probably. I doubt you'd have an issue with it. Your insurance company would have an issue with it if they ever found out.

Is it illegal? - yes. The tyre has been altered from it's original approved state. Under current UK law this is illegal for passenger cars and commercial vehicle under 3500KG - no ambiguity there.

At the end of the day do what you like :D

Cheers

Steve

look I'm not being an areshole and saying this is illegal you should not do it.

Could you get away with it? - yes most probably. I doubt you'd have an issue with it. Your insurance company would have an issue with it if they ever found out.

Is it illegal? - yes. The tyre has been altered from it's original approved state. Under current UK law this is illegal for passenger cars and commercial vehicle under 3500KG - no ambiguity there.

At the end of the day do what you like :D

Cheers

Steve

well i think ill do it anyway, its no diffrent to loosing a few nobbles when offroading :lol:

Its not like im going to be taking it far on the road anyway with Portal axles and if i did get pulled over im sure they will be more interested in how fast i was going :o (or not with portal axles) rather than a few nobbles missing on my tyres, thats if they can even spot the diffrence :ph34r: !

Thanks for the advice, its always good to know where we stand when you get pulled over by the Law(so we can always have a good excuse!) :lol::lol:

What would you use to cut the nobbles off?

A tyre-cutter, ask at your local truck place or google it for pictures. It uses high current passing through a thin metal blade, you then push this blade using the tool's handle through the tyre tread, dont go too deep though :D

My mate has regroved his Grizzly Claws to prolong their life

Try ebay, they go for ÂŁ50-100, the best are the German ones, cant remember the name

Lewis :)

they are easy enough to cut with a tyre regrooverIt will take a few hours to cut the nobbles off but will transform the performance of the tyre.

87b6_1.JPG

I did think about the fedima (simex copy) that are the same height as the ET2 but the rubber compound is harder so they dont grip quite so well on rocks.

No idea if it is legal - but that would make a bloody good tyre! Not a million miles from Dumpers.

Si

Are Dumper/tractor tyres really that good? We were having a simex/bogger/other offroad tyre vs. dumper tyre discussion in the pub on sunday - but none of us had actually driven a Land Rover with dumper tyres

Are Dumper/tractor tyres really that good? We were having a simex/bogger/other offroad tyre vs. dumper tyre discussion in the pub on sunday - but none of us had actually driven a Land Rover with dumper tyres

Yes and no. Neither have I but have been away on many occasions with people with them fitted, usually 11.5/80x15.3 size. In conditions where you need to keep chewing they are awesome, though they make a mess of the ground even when not spinning and many farm owners here don't like people using them for that reason - my father (in the days before there were any roads here) banned them from most of the farm because of the mess they made of tracks. On the road most are only rated to 25mph so probably illegal though that doesn't stop people here using them on road however the noise is a bit high and they shake the vehicle to pieces! For climbing they are pretty awesome too, but I've seen one situation where they actually didn't work well climbing a mountain because they would tear the top off the ground and then dig in to the soft peat where my wide BFG's floated over the thin mat of turf on top and drove straight up.

They are AWESOME :D:D:D

Trialed on a set of cut dumpers for a few seasons (untill they were banned).

The grip was fantastic, better than any other tyre i've used since, maxicross, grizleys, simex, and boggers all seema bit tame compared.

If you would be willing to spend good money and buy goodyears or michelens they are speed rated and last a lot better on the road.

I trialled for a year on dumpers with the awdc, and they are awesume in a straight line, when you turn tho, the back pushes you on quite alot (fiddles cure this) and on side slopes they slide (can be dodgy!)

I had them on my series 2 for a few days serious off roading and on road, they are AWEFULL!

Just be careful you don't cut too much out Chris or you'll be back where you started <_<

Hmmmm :unsure: I could always cut every other nobble off either between the side lugs and stagger them so there is always 2 lugs diagonally and horizontally, that way they would be no more aggressive than a simex et. I will have to check that it works out evenly around the circumference of the tyre first.

I don’t want to end up in special class again :huh:

Hmmmm :unsure: I could always cut every other nobble off either between the side lugs and stagger them so there is always 2 lugs diagonally and horizontally, that way they would be no more aggressive than a simex et. I will have to check that it works out evenly around the circumference of the tyre first.

Why not just fit the 35" ET's?

Steve :)

I did think about the fedima (simex copy) that are the same height as the ET2 but the rubber compound is harder so they dont grip quite so well on rocks.

Simex don't work on rocks either.

krawlers or boggers work well on rocks

Even BFG muds work better on rocks than simex!

Looking at the photo, you need to be careful how you cut. I noticed that some of the remaining treads look like they have been under cut and will rip off really quickly, esp on road!