cutting nobbles off simex ET2's

Chris Abel

Simex don't work on rocks either.

krawlers or boggers work well on rocks

Even BFG muds work better on rocks than simex!

i've found the simexs work well enough on rock only rock i've drove on is at walters arena( seven sisters) in wales aired down and found that the big side lugs hook on the rock, not real rock crawling but not much of this type of site in uk anyway, if you know diffrent do tell as i enjoy big rocks

pretty much most of the others sites that you didn't go to tango... all of them had massive rocks involved.. don't know what the tyres were like mind because we (adrian and I) wasn't using them.

you should check out santa challenge next year mate - - majority is rock over there... well two sites anyway.. the others are mud/grass and more mud/brick.

JOY..JOY ..JOY.

i've found the simexs work well enough on rock only rock i've drove on is at walters arena( seven sisters) in wales aired down and found that the big side lugs hook on the rock, not real rock crawling but not much of this type of site in uk anyway, if you know diffrent do tell as i enjoy big rocks

I do not know if he attends this forum any more, but that looks like tha work of Master splicer AKA TD5 power on Devon.

He did this some months back as the 36' ET2 was proving far from perfect.

As for the real results? not sure still waiting for him to give an opinion.

Jim :)

Ps: Simex work well on rock, well compared to what else is available :lol:

Ive been watching this thread coz im coming towards time that I need to replace my tyre's. Ive been running 35/10.5x16 fedima sciroco's but they are gettin a bit long in the tooth now. They are awsome in mud, on grass, soft going etc etc and ive never been out driven on the soft stuff to date (with the exception of someone on a newer set of the same last weekend, Grrrrrr) but they are very poor on rock and stone so Ive been looking at going Simex as ive been impressed with what ive seen so far. Has anyone gone from the fedima's to simex and seen a hage difference? I imagine they would as they seem to flex way better than the fedima and I think the rubber is softer.

The problem I have is I dont want to drop down to a 35 inch tyre (although the fedima is marked 35 it compares to a 36 inch simex). But although I want better performance on rock I do a huge amount of soft ground driving and the ET2's sound less than Ideal in the mud! I supose a 36inch ET1 is the ideal but I dont think they do them.

Ive been watching this thread coz im coming towards time that I need to replace my tyre's. Ive been running 35/10.5x16 fedima sciroco's but they are gettin a bit long in the tooth now. They are awsome in mud, on grass, soft going etc etc and ive never been out driven on the soft stuff to date (with the exception of someone on a newer set of the same last weekend, Grrrrrr) but they are very poor on rock and stone so Ive been looking at going Simex as ive been impressed with what ive seen so far. Has anyone gone from the fedima's to simex and seen a hage difference? I imagine they would as they seem to flex way better than the fedima and I think the rubber is softer.

The problem I have is I dont want to drop down to a 35 inch tyre (although the fedima is marked 35 it compares to a 36 inch simex). But although I want better performance on rock I do a huge amount of soft ground driving and the ET2's sound less than Ideal in the mud! I supose a 36inch ET1 is the ideal but I dont think they do them.

Are 37 x 13.00 Boggers too big? Not much wider than the Simex I'm using (35x10.5s) and a fair bit taller. They're probably my current choice although I'm bound to change my mind again before I buy a set of tyres :ph34r:

They probably arnt too big actually, Depends if they are a small 37 or a large 37 if ya get me! Tyre size's tend to vary from make to make dont they. The only reason I wouldn't be too keen to go bigger is the gearing as I have 4.11-1 R+P's and like it as it is plus some events having a max size limit but im defo open to all options. Not been impressed with the Pitbulls ive seen so I wouldn't be to keen on them. Not seen Boggers used, I dont like the anacondas which I think are a similar tread pattern but the bogger could be a totally different tyre.

They probably arnt too big actually, Depends if they are a small 37 or a large 37 if ya get me! Tyre size's tend to vary from make to make dont they. The only reason I wouldn't be too keen to go bigger is the gearing as I have 4.11-1 R+P's and like it as it is plus some events having a max size limit but im defo open to all options. Not been impressed with the Pitbulls ive seen so I wouldn't be to keen on them. Not seen Boggers used, I dont like the anacondas which I think are a similar tread pattern but the bogger could be a totally different tyre.

Steve, looking at the sizes they're just under 37" (36.8"). The only bad word I've heard about them is they can be a bit interesting on side slopes although Jez tells me its no issue as they tend to slide then grip.

FYI 36 x 13.5 IROK is the same diameter (looking at the figures), slightly narrower and only has a very slightly shallower tread. This is annother tyre on the short list.....

My simex were useless on rocks.

Simex are useless on rocks.......?

Big statement

I find Simex acceptable, when airred down to sensible figures Eg: between 5 and 15psi.

Simex flex there side walls well, unlike the cheaper copies and are very difficult to beat as an alround tyre.

On the limited rock crawling we have in this country ia have had the pleasure of competing againist other makes and marques of tyre at the rock crawl at Tong (Biggest in the country)

And to have to say that that day Simex creamed all the boggers....

But then i suppose it could have been luck.... :lol:

But Dan you are right, in as much as there are better OUTRIGHT rock crawling tyres, But all round tyres...? I'll stick to Simex for the time being :D

Jim :)

Ps: Just wish they made them bigger :angry:

Well an all round tyre thats acceptable on rock but will mainly be used in soft going is what im after. I really do not want to loose any of the soft ground ability I have with the fedima (which are very good) but would like something just a bit better on rock. I think if it wasn't for the down size in diameter id go for the simex ET's. Im thinking of going for the ET2's and cutting them as above but how much will this damage the rock performance? Will they still be any advantage over the fedima? I think the extra flex will probably be enough to make them better but who know's without trying it!

• 1 year later...

Let's put it this way...the ETs don't love the rocks, and I hated them on the rocks...the SS Iroks did much better there...as with everything, it is a compromize...the Iroks don't do as well as the ETs un the mud, but that's the only terrain I give up on with the Iroks that shine in all other terrains...Boggers aren't great on the rocks either, but by simply offering more than 36" sizes, they will outshine the ETs