V8 Limited Edition Defender to celebrate 70th Anniversary

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Wonder if they uprated the half-shafts? :ph34r:

Think I'll stick with the 4.6 and about 140k change in my pocket (I wish!)

They have stated the axles are upgraded and the center diff is LSD.

I would bet they are not making any profit on these at all.  Take a used vehicle.  Throw away all parts other than the rolling chassis.  Install all new parts.  Add on a whole raft of custom made one off parts that are designed and built using factory engineers and factory buying systems.  Then hand build the whole thing.  The sell price is barely covering their out of pocket cost.

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Wonder if they uprated the half-shafts? :ph34r:

Think I'll stick with the 4.6 and about 140k change in my pocket (I wish!)

They have stated the axles are upgraded and the center diff is LSD.

I would bet they are not making any profit on these at all.  Take a used vehicle.  Throw away all parts other than the rolling chassis.  Install all new parts.  Add on a whole raft of custom made one off parts that are designed and built using factory engineers and factory buying systems.  Then hand build the whole thing.  The sell price is barely covering their out of pocket cost.

Well, who would have thought it; a defender worth 6 figures. Keep hold of yours chaps, it could fund your retirement!

That steering box is from a P38 by the looks of it. I need to have a look at how they mounted it, as that is exactly what I am planning to do, I have one sitting in the garage already.

Oh, this is good: top speed is capped at 106mph.

My Polo Bluemotion betters that by a considerable amount (1.2 litre 3 pot diesel), so it really is all about the image, isn't it?

Daan

2 hours ago, Daan said:

Oh, this is good: top speed is capped at 106mph.

My Polo Bluemotion betters that by a considerable amount (1.2 litre 3 pot diesel), so it really is all about the image, isn't it?

Daan

That’s what happens when you put AT’s on, top speed restricted to speed rating of the tyres. :rolleyes:

It's a bit unsettling to think that some of the world's best schooling produced the minds that came up with this. So, what we have is a company that stops producing the only workhorse it has because of reasons that haven't stopped other car companies, but now they're producing the same car, but with a lot of improvements first called for at about the time the executives behind this were born, instead of, you know, when the thing was actually in production and not selling partly because of the lack of these improvements. 

Do I laugh or cry? Because admitting you own a Land Rover these days is like admitting you support the worst sports team around, you know: "Oh, but, they'll get there one day, just you watch." 

I think producing is a loose term here, more like buying up old LR, throwing a load of glitter at them and then selling them on for a major marketing exercise.

If LR apparently think so much of the Defender, and then they bring the replacement out, if it doesn't share the ethos, then we all know how it will go down...

McGovern has been vocal about how he hates other companies blinging up Defenders and selling them at a huge mark up (Twisted, Kahn, etc.). So they've done it themselves this time to try and blow them out of the water. Only because they wanted to squeeze something out of 70 years and the new Defender is taking ages.

• Like 1

Yes, that thought had occurred to me as well. It wasn't that long ago when he was in the news commenting on that aftermarket stuff. I'm so very sure that he is the man, and this is the answer, to fix that particular situation. <sarcasm at full boost> 

If you read the articles about the new G wagon, its really quite interesting, I think there's about 5 common parts between the old model and the new model, but the design brief was to keep it looking the same, evidently this was quite challenging and the price tag probably reflects that... its quite an interesting case really, as if LR did that to the Defender, so it looked the same, but had 5 parts transferable from the previous model, what would we be thinking?...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maverik said:

If you read the articles about the new G wagon, its really quite interesting, I think there's about 5 common parts between the old model and the new model, but the design brief was to keep it looking the same, evidently this was quite challenging and the price tag probably reflects that... its quite an interesting case really, as if LR did that to the Defender, so it looked the same, but had 5 parts transferable from the previous model, what would we be thinking?...

As told on the factory tour, the only 2 parts identical from Series 1 to the Defender were the canvas lashing hook (301328) and a rear tub vertical stiffener. The designers of the new Defender had been told to integrate the latter into the new vehicle somewhere, so they could string along a tenuous link to their "heritage".

I think the bit they need to try and keep is the practicality aspects of the design. OK it's got to have a cleaner engine, more safety gizmos and be more robot assembly friendly but there are simple things they could do. Ie put the wheels near the front and back without loads of plastic trim around them which is something I'm always wary of when taking the pickup off the beaten track. Make the sills and bumpers strong so if you do knock them it's not a trip to the bodyshop to make the doors work again or clad them in a plastic part that's cheap and easy to replace. Make it so you can drive it with boots on. Keep the rear door big, square and flat so that it's easy to load, your not leaning over a tailgate with something heavy etc. Offer a rubber version of the interior instead of carpet. They could even copy the jeep wrangler roof concept, a removable plastic section. Then you could buy plastic sections to make it a pickup or van or whatever. Or do what Skoda did with their pickup in the 90s, that was cool :)

Crikey, just read a similar thread on another forum and two people have stated that they are buying one of these £150k secondhand bitsa glamtastic, lifestyle trinkets. I thought the 30k+ new price tag on my last few Puma 110 CSW's was pushing it for something poorly finished that leaked, clunked and rattled.

I think it's great.  The 60th edition wasn't that special so why not go out on the nice V8 auto special.  Sure it looks crazy on the inside but at that sort of money it needs to be also needs to be a bit of a talking point.  And yes I think Land Rover looked around and thought yes money to be had with an uprated Defender and general Defender upgrades and have put something out there.    I've been thinking for years my 90 V8 is worth 100K maybe 120K I'm glad the market has finally woken up to that. :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/18/2018 at 1:40 AM, Davo said:

It's a bit unsettling to think that some of the world's best schooling produced the minds that came up with this. So, what we have is a company that stops producing the only workhorse it has because of reasons that haven't stopped other car companies, but now they're producing the same car, but with a lot of improvements first called for at about the time the executives behind this were born, instead of, you know, when the thing was actually in production and not selling partly because of the lack of these improvements. 

Do I laugh or cry? Because admitting you own a Land Rover these days is like admitting you support the worst sports team around, you know: "Oh, but, they'll get there one day, just you watch." 

Davo, I agree totally.  Trouble is, accountants don't listen to people who don't know what they're talking about, especially the customers and users!

• Like 1