Assault helmet

o_teunico

Hi all,

I have been thinking about sourcing an assault helmet for using when doing weird works in with a 30 ton press, but all I have found are replicas for airsoft/paintball wars.

Any idea if this type of equippment can be legally bought and where?

Thanks.

201512151717170.altyn_helmet_replica.jpg

I can see what you need - get one of these and lock the workshop and give the key to a responsible adult

padlock.jpg.55b32d4ceb70e40e66de2e964f8cdac9.jpg

:) , seriously though if you feel at that much risk you shouldn't be working like that , a properly set and operated press requires no PPE

Steve b

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, qwakers said:

can you imagine if you where all dressed up in full tactical gear in your garage and the police knocked on the door... their reaction would be worth filming lol.

Honestly ! I’m a Land Rover mechanic 👨‍🔧😱😂

Whilst I agree this may be a little over the top......I have seen someone smash a hub with a press trying to get a bearing out. Admittedly they should have stopped before this and were not using quite the right technique but things can go wrong.

Lots of presses now have a mesh screen that folds in front of the work piece and yourself. Wouldn't that do the job? 

If you're going this route a face shield might protect the pretty bits but you're still potentially going to get missiles flying around your shop, you really should get a ballistic vest too, some ex army stuff would probably do you...

Ebay offers plenty of cheap secondhand expolice body armor. I could take the chest part for the chest and the back part for the legs, from navel to knees. 

Optional armor plates can be added. 

I have also checked local regulations, and it's perfectly legal in Spain to own and wear this type of equipment.

Screenshot_20180119-094036.png

15 hours ago, o_teunico said:

Sometimes things go wrong. I want to be prepared just in case.

A neighbour died when working with the high presure suspension of his citroen bx.

That's not the press going wrong, it's Darwin's theory at work. :huh:

What about a sheet of polycarbonate hinged around the press? Get it all setup and in line then clip it around before you wind the pressure up. Saves getting dressed up.

We had a 30 tonne horizontal press at work. You could change the tooling to do all sorts of jobs. One set was for cropping, we used to crop 20x6 flat to length before bending it. The only problem was occasionally the two 2" high tensile bolts that held one half of the crop jaw in place would ping it off. There's still one in the insulation of the roof somewhere. It went through the first sheet of tin but stopped before going all the way through the roof. It was like a 2" bullet but always went pretty much straight up, the problem was when it came down. It was like an old western film :) 

• Haha 1