Fuel Burning Heater

Sammell15

Recently brought Discovery three whis is suffering difficulty starting in the cold weather. Very interested in fitting a FBH to help the situation and keep the car warm without leaving the engin running. 

Problem is I have idea where or how to install the unit. Any info would be much appreceated including any pictures .

thanks for your time

new member Art

If I read you post right you have a discovery 3? If so you have a fuel burning heater. However it will not help with starting unless you retro fit a controller to run the heater up before the car starts as it only kicks in after start to warm the engine up quicker.

Note that  on a Disco 3 the glow plugs run for longer than the lamp on the dash. Count to 30 slowly, then start. If that doesn't help count to 30, turn ignition off, count to 30 again. It should start unless the majority of the glow plugs are knackered.

I believe that the glow plugs can shear off when you try and change them  resulting in the need to remove the cylinder heads to complete the job. Note you have to lift off the body to get the heads off, so this job could escalate more than you think.

Disco 3.co.uk has a good write up on how to check which glow plugs are working/not working

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the information. You are right a FBH is fitted to my discovery. I have found information on controllers and the installation instructions on line. But the price is over three hundred . Does anyone have any info on a cheeper one other than that incoporate sms and tracker

You might find this of some use... http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic12516.html

There is a way to remotely operate the FBH in the Range Rover L322.. obviously there is the LR remote, but some peeps have done away with this and use a GSM dialer, this means that they can turn on the FBH from anywhere in the world! And from what I gather the Webasto wiring has a single +12v connection requirement to operate it from afar!

6 hours ago, miggit said:

Thank you for the information. I am not the best at auto electrics. Looking at both your replays you have posted I see Quantek 500 unit is used at a cost of £69. But you also ref the UK GSM Relay Controler No Sim cost £23.99.  

Q 1.  Will the cheeper unit do the same job.

Q2. Could you provide a more detailed wiring discripion as what wire is attached to what. Like I say l'm not good with auto electrics.

thank you for taking time to reply.

Arthur

On 03/02/2018 at 6:05 PM, Sammell15 said:

Thank you for the information. I am not the best at auto electrics. Looking at both your replays you have posted I see Quantek 500 unit is used at a cost of £69. But you also ref the UK GSM Relay Controler No Sim cost £23.99.  

Q 1.  Will the cheeper unit do the same job.

Q2. Could you provide a more detailed wiring discripion as what wire is attached to what. Like I say l'm not good with auto electrics.

thank you for taking time to reply.

Arthur

With out wading through the wiring diagram for a D3, which I don't have, the only thing that I can refer to is the Range Rover Mk3 (L322) In the rear fuse / relay  box there is a plug that you can add remote FBH module to, it just plugs in and operated by a simple on off remote.. This kit from LR is not cheap! But the chaps on the forum soon worked out that you only have to apply +12v to one wire to make the heater fire up by itself... So the UK GSM Relay Controller has has 4 connections in it +12 and -0 (for the power) and the relay side.. this is the remote switch, one bit goes to +12v and the other side goes to the correct wire on the FBH remote plug. There is some sort of setup for the GSM bit that requires calling the unit from your phone, or texting it...  but from what I could make out you can set it up to 99 minutes of "on" and get it to send you a status text! 

What you need is someone who knows the D3, and preferably has added some type of remote to the system... although that bit isn't totally necessary as all you really need to know is where is the plug for the remote and which wire you need to add +12v to, to get the heater to fire up!

5 hours ago, miggit said:

With out wading through the wiring diagram for a D3, which I don't have, the only thing that I can refer to is the Range Rover Mk3 (L322) In the rear fuse / relay  box there is a plug that you can add remote FBH module to, it just plugs in and operated by a simple on off remote.. This kit from LR is not cheap! But the chaps on the forum soon worked out that you only have to apply +12v to one wire to make the heater fire up by itself... So the UK GSM Relay Controller has has 4 connections in it +12 and -0 (for the power) and the relay side.. this is the remote switch, one bit goes to +12v and the other side goes to the correct wire on the FBH remote plug. There is some sort of setup for the GSM bit that requires calling the unit from your phone, or texting it...  but from what I could make out you can set it up to 99 minutes of "on" and get it to send you a status text! 

What you need is someone who knows the D3, and preferably has added some type of remote to the system... although that bit isn't totally necessary as all you really need to know is where is the plug for the remote and which wire you need to add +12v to, to get the heater to fire up!

Thank you for this info this is brilliant.   I thing I will be purchasing UK GSM Controller and also search for more wiring information for the D3.  I'll post my results thanks again.

9 hours ago, Maverik said:

imho, I'd be saving up the pennies to buy a webasto remote controller, I have one on my 90 and they are simple to fit and have been very reliable. - (presently saving up myself for one for my van.)

Thanks for the info much appreciated.