Lt230Q?

oneandtwo

My 1.2 ex 300tdi disco LT230 has the usual leak from the intermediate shaft, it’s flooding out now so I am going to replace the casing with an Ashcroft sleeved one, however I also have a later LT230Q box spare - First thought is to rebuild the Q box with the sleeved casing to take advantage of the supposedly quieter Q gears, not that my older one is noisey. I do have a very slight niggle as I have read in the past that the Q is not as durable as the earlier box - any real world experience of a Q failing? 

It is to go in my 300tdi 90, used 99% on road with 235 / 85 road tyres

I put a Q box in and couldn't notice a difference in noise.

I think people deem them to be less strong as the teeth are smaller and angled differently, so in theory it's true. But most tbox failures are bearings or not using diff lock properly. If any hard offloading is being done then the low ratio gears are much stronger and are the same as other boxes, in which case the fact it's a Q box doesn't matter