2.5 n/a Snorkel

Ex MOD 90 Defender 2.5n/a Diesel 1992

I purchased a snorkel for my Defender  it’s an ex military snorkel and fits in the nearside top wing heater intake  I’m struggling to find any photos on how to fit this.

most of it is self explanatory but how do I deal with the heater blower intake? Do I also spin  the air filter around so I can connect the hoses? Ideally a thread with just this would be perfect but I can’t find any and photobucket has deleted most photos of other threads.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks 

The snorkel attaches to the heater intake, with a flexible hose leading to the air filter

The heater intake is usually moved just forward of the side indicator repeater light, on the side of the wing using a series 3 heater intake grill, with a flexible hose taking the air back to the heater box. 

24 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

The snorkel attaches to the heater intake, with a flexible hose leading to the air filter

The heater intake is usually moved just forward of the side indicator repeater light, on the side of the wing using a series 3 heater intake grill, with a flexible hose taking the air back to the heater box. 

Thanks

I wonder if there’s a wat to revroute without cutting the wing?

You need to be sucking in clean air, not from inside the engine bay, going to be difficult without cutting a hole somewhere. 

If you search for Marines deep wading defenders you should find some pics of the setup.  I removed my snorkel and reverted it all back as there were too many tubes involved and I don't plan on dunking myself upto my chin anytime... 

14 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

You need to be sucking in clean air, not from inside the engine bay, going to be difficult without cutting a hole somewhere. 

If you search for Marines deep wading defenders you should find some pics of the setup.  I removed my snorkel and reverted it all back as there were too many tubes involved and I don't plan on dunking myself upto my chin anytime... 

Hmm yes I’m toying with the idea of leaving it off too. 

If you don't really need the snorkel, don't bother. If you do, the less gaskets, seals etc. are the best. The "bolt it against the side and hope for the best" is not really always waterproof..

We have a snorkel on the vehicles but don't have it connected, unless we're goin out for work. And inside the snorkel we have a long tube all the way from the top of the snorkel to the modified air intake bousing

Mines a 1991 2.5 na and I made mine up as in photo.  Its not a genuine one but does the job in 3 feet of water.

Parts as in list but all i used was the rubber elbows, piping is my own and connects to the air cannister.   Entry through the wing was where a clansman was fitted, this was moved to the other side. Hope it helps you.

1.thumb.jpg.5a25411c3b8267a28bab2db356659e5c.jpg

5a648da9d2887_raisedairintakeFitted2014.thumb.jpg.11e24d1554369979d2adfd0aeb900626.jpg

Mine had a rubber  “duck bill fanny thingy” for a water drain, supposedly one way but never are!  Took it out and welded a patch over it (could use a bung and silicone but I wouldn’t trust it).  Don’t recall a second hole ?  Weld it up anyway ?

Thanks for the replies, some interesting stuff there. I’ve decided I’m going to continue with it. I’ll try to post photos when I’m done. Anyone know the best way to cut a “neat” hole in the wing for the new heater intake? I’m a bit nervous after cutting a hole in the dash for a lighter and it went horribly scrappy! 

A hole saw on a drill would work.

Is your Defender and left hand drive or right hand drive? If it is Left Hand Drive you could route the hole for the pipe through the blank in the wing. I suppose you could also run it from the driver side to the same blank if rhd. 

I have the vent for the heater off and am busy spraying up my second hand snorkel. 

Obviously the tube fits from the existing air filter intake to my snorkel, but what are the two union joints for? 

ps the photo is my snorkel upside down drying. 

60E84075-D5B0-4B74-A396-90AF74F64AF6.jpeg

CA00BDC9-0D39-4ABE-8231-5C9F00C60A67.jpeg

Edited by 14Platoon

That air intake is from a deep wading defender designed to go to almost windscreen depth.   The unions are for air feeds for some other bits that might suck in water but can't remember offhand - think one was for brake servo or something.  You won't need them so can blank off. 

7 hours ago, Eightpot said:

That air intake is from a deep wading defender designed to go to almost windscreen depth.   The unions are for air feeds for some other bits that might suck in water but can't remember offhand - think one was for brake servo or something.  You won't need them so can blank off. 

Great thanks 

17 minutes ago, Paddy said:

You'll be pulling in smells and possibly fumes, not good for the health !!  Stick with an external fresh air supply.

I can vouch for this approach too, mine didn't have the foam seal on the duct for quite a while and more then once I found some pretty sooty smells being brought into the cab.