problem with Disco 2 2nd row seats

stanleysteamer

Hi all.
Disco 2 TD5 5 seater.
In a hurry, I took the seat, which had been folded forward to put a big load in, to put it back up. I pushed it back and the upper part would not move back up. Stupidly, instead of making sure the floor level lever/strap thing was completely down and locked, I just applied a bit more force to the seat back. It moved up a bit under protest, until it dawned on me what I was doing. I then put my hand down the back of the seat, pushed the strap/handle thing down, locked the seat base down then was able to push the back upright, but, you've guessed it, it no longer locks into position.

To pass the MOT, I removed both rear seats. But I understand this will not be possible next year, or even this?

I have trawled the internet but only found a rather naff instructable in German, I think, with some dodgy pics.

Due to the seats' propensity for having the locking mechanism sticking I am sure I am not the first to have this problem. I have tried taking various bits of plastic off and sprayingwhat mechanism I can find with WD etc, but it still will not lock up. Can anyone help with how to strip it down, fix it and put it back together? Typically it is the bigger (and heavier) one of the two!  Would be enormously grateful for any help!

Hi, Do a search for, and download RAVE, the LR manual, which will give you all the details you need. Make sure you haven't got a boot carpet caught up. I do frequently with dog fleece and the seat then won't lock down.

Griff

Hi Bear, I have checked, I know I made a mistake!  The seat base IS locked down, the back will now go into place, it just will not lock there.  I didn't think RAVE would have this detail.  I think I have it downloaded so I will look.  So thanks awfully for the advice, I'll try to remember to get back to you on this, but I have asked this question on so many forums!  I'll make a note in my notes!

Hi Bear, I have looked at RAVE and it is really more about repairing seat material than anything else.  All those hog rings! Ouch!  But I may well give it a go when I have a chance, I just had another quick look at it and it does seem as if I may be able to do something just working on the bottom of the seat and seat back, but we will see.

Cheers