What happened to the Devon 4x4 forum?

L19MUD

I have been out of the Winch challenge game for a few years now. I used to Co drive with a mate locally in a series and do a couple of national big competitions such as Santa's. 

I have now bought the truck off him and need a couple of bits. Devon used to be the place to be to buy and sell winch comp bits. Has it gone? Can see their  website but not the forum

Apologies for the question on here but didn't know who else to ask!! 

What a massive waste of some really useful information. There were some great builds on there. :(

I just don't see how Facebook is an alternative in any way. It is just a random string of threads with a few useless comments and then no way of ever finding any of it ever again

They had a web site redesign and couldn't fix the problems with the forum login with the new site because the web developers were incompetent.

At some point they then decided they couldn't be arsed to fix it and closed down the forum as an easy option. It's a shame but I suspect it was always a bit of a double edged sword, on the plus side they had an active community of off road competitors regularly visiting their site that they could sell to, on the down side they would get a bit of stick on there regarding some of their products and prices.

I still buy stuff from them but only very occasionally now as,  their site is no longer one I visit regularly so when I need parts I just go for the cheapest, which is rarely D44 ! i think I've placed one small order with them in the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

Running forums is an expensive hobby..

That may be, but people seem to be able to run blogs and the like with just basic adsense funding, a sizeable forum should be able to run in profit with a bit of management.

Facebook will always exist, but the always-planned move from a social network to a dedicated advertising medium is going to irritate a lot of people and they will leave in droves.

Some of the sites/servers I manage are 1,000,000 page views per months (after you remove the bots), no, the hosting is not cheap :) 

3 hours ago, L19MUD said:

What a massive waste of some really useful information. There were some great builds on there. :(

I just don't see how Facebook is an alternative in any way. It is just a random string of threads with a few useless comments and then no way of ever finding any of it ever again

Its why I hate the facebook LR groups. Too many vocal people who haven't a clue jumping to the worst conclusions before suggesting checking the basic and cheap stuff. That and the volume of totally incorrect rubbish posted it drives me mad.

Having said that, I can't tear myself away from them as I hate seeing people given the wrong info :( 

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Facebook will always exist, but the always-planned move from a social network to a dedicated advertising medium is going to irritate a lot of people and they will leave in droves.

Some of the sites/servers I manage are 1,000,000 page views per months (after you remove the bots), no, the hosting is not cheap :) 

Facebook is certainly getting worse for adverts. I'm scrolling on down the timeline and start watching a video.... advert starts and 9 times out of 10 I'll just keep scrolling.

14 hours ago, L19MUD said:

I have now bought the truck off him and need a couple of bits. Devon used to be the place to be to buy and sell winch comp bits. Has it gone? Can see their  website but not the forum

Not sure if you use Facebook but there is a fairly active group called '4x4 Winch Challenges' which is a good source of information and plenty of for sale/wanted ads. It seems to stick closer to technical info than some of the spurious LR related pages. It's a shame the Devon forum closed down, the builds were really interesting.

Edited by Boris113
typo

8 minutes ago, Boris113 said:

Not sure if you use Facebook but there is a fairly active group called '4x4 Winch Challenges' which is a good source of information and plenty of for sale/wanted ads. It seems to stick closer to technical info than some of the spurious LR related pages. It's a shame the Devon forum closed down, the builds were really interesting.

My mate actually advertised the truck on that group this week (but I was given first refusal). I have requested to join but it has not been accepted yet

I have bought the Red tray back ....

11 minutes ago, Boris113 said:

You aren't wrong, Faceache can seem like a broken record at times, if there was a better search function it would make it far more useful.

Add in the fact you can reply to the post and you can reply to the replies individually its a complete minefield when trying to track down information.

1 hour ago, L19MUD said:

My mate actually advertised the truck on that group this week (but I was given first refusal). I have requested to join but it has not been accepted yet.

I don't think anyone is acting as admin on that group, I've been waiting to be accepted for a few months.

I am after a 24 spline air locker in a diff. ARB or Ashcroft. That is all I need to get it up and running again.

It also needs a front winch as the twin top 8274 is no longer there. I am not 100% sure what I am going to do with the truck (not sure I am going to get back into the same comps I was doing) so for now I will probably move the single motor 8274 from the back to the front and the middle winch to the rear

Any Gigglepin twin winch's going for £500 will obviously be considered though :-)

I will start a thread for it when I get round to picking it up