Snagger

I think if a tester can see it's been removed it would be hard to convince them to pass it. I think the problem for people will be if they've blanked off EGRs or cut and welded DPFs are they're kind of hard to hide.

The ones that worry me are;

- fail with visible smoke of any colour - firstly what is not any colour and how can you include something that is down to the testers eye. They have machines that can analyse emissions which is atleast in some way scientific.

- must meet the emissions stated by the manufacturer not a government set target. So basically your engine can't degrade in any way.

Basically hammering diesels as they now have a bad name so are an easy target. I've never liked driving diesels, less so now they're so over complicated they're probably less reliable than petrols, but try buying a decent petrol. You get the sewing machine supercharged turbo tin boxes that I don't want and the v10 supercharged that I can't afford but not a lot inbetween.

Is quite clear here about DPFs, there's be a lot of people cussing...:

Diesel particulate filters (DPF) should be checked for evidence that the DPF has been removed or otherwise tampered with. Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it should be rejected unless evidence can be provided that the canister was cut open for legitimate reasons, such as filter cleaning.

Lots of cars have a heat shield all the way round them. The tester is not allowed to remove this so there is no way of telling if this had been done.

Even if it does not have a shield and you retrofitted something the tester would not be allowed to remove it.

In fact a lot of cars now have full underbody plastic trays which shield everything from view, again MOT man is not allowed to remove

I've just bought an old cheap EGR for the disco just in case these are included. I know its all seen as hype that wont happen by some on here, but i would rather pay £20 now than £100 when someone cottons on to the fact that everyone who has removed one needs one again!

• Like 1