RRC front spoiler

KrisDR

Two models of front spoiler are available for my 89 RRC (SALLHABL8FA38XXX). Any idea which one was offered during which period? The one with the 6 slots must obviously be better for cooling I guess but the other one looks sturdier. I have a/c in the car, which one do I choose? (MXC6829 and MXC6828)

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-25 om 15.35.30.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-25 om 15.36.20.png

I've had a look at my gen parts list, available here! https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9n3ko08ajgo7jb/Range Rover Parts 1986-91.pdf?dl=0 

And I've found that MWC6940 is up to GA (1990) and MXC6828 is GA on...

Having done an image search for MWC6940 it most like the second picture you posted, so if you're looking for period correct then that's the to go for.... But remember if you intend to go on anything other that tarmac that plastic spoiler is the very first thing to break! (that is normally why they are removed)

Theoretically easily removed before offroading - or at least they are if the fastenings are kept lubed. Usually the brass inserts that the retaining bolts are in seize to the bolts & just twist out.

FRONT SPOILER
Service repair no - 76.10.46
The spoiler will reduce the vehicle approach angle by approximately 10°. Where the vehicle is expected to
perform on rough or hilly terrain, it is advisable to remove the spoiler assembly to prevent possible
damage from ground contact.
Remove
1. Raise and support front of vehicle on safety
stands.
2. Remove engine undertray.
3. Remove two screws with spring washers
securing centre of front spoiler and number
plate.
4. Remove number plate.
5. Remove four nuts with spring washers located
behind front bumper above auxiliary lamps.
6. Remove two bolts, nuts and washers securing
outer edges of spoiler to front wing[fender]s.
7. Release auxiliary lamp multiplugs from clips and
disconnect the multiplugs.
8. Remove front spoiler assembly. Do not carry
out further dismantling if component is
removed for access only.

17 hours ago, paintman said:

Service repair no - 76.10.46

Having read the faff that you have to go through to go off road, it rather explains why you see rather a lot of RRC's without the spoiler... I can't imagine that many green laners would go to all that trouble every weekend!

My RR was a 1987MY and had closed slots, the open slot, although not as open as the Britpart one, arrived I believe with the 1990MY which was the start of the 3.9s that had slots cut below the number plate and into the centre of the lower part of the spoiler,  I was  tempted to purchase one @£80 back then but never did. Also there's lanes and there's lanes not all lanes will damage the front spoiler  photo of my RR at 6 months old on a lane :)

I have a parts catalogue so I'll have a look at part numbers out of interest. Ok done that, so up to GA mwc6940 and beyond mxc6828 as previously stated by miggit, and shown on page 560 of his link.

Also the type of spoiler has no bearing on the functionality of the vehicles A/C system.

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_4628.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

Edited by teabag

Ok,  now you have shown us your vehicle it was only the Vogue's that had the spoiler but the turbo diesels didn't nether did the two door  RR's

The silver two door that's in the garage has a patten part spoiler, genuine spoiler had just four slotted vents in the lower strip of the spoiler. 

The Range Rover Gold Portfolio 1970-1992 is a must have for those interested in the early RR.

Theres also a similar book covering the early Disco. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It looks like these spoilers all had a tray attached to them that went under the engine, part numbers BTR3510, MWC6937 or MXC5469, which in some factory book or other I saw described as a "cooling tray" or similar. I can't figure out what the idea was - to send air from the spoiler under the engine? I wonder if it worked? 

24 minutes ago, teabag said:

Ok,  now you have shown us your vehicle it was only the Vogue's that had the spoiler but the turbo diesels didn't nether did the two door  RR's

The silver two door that's in the garage has a patten part spoiler, genuine spoiler had just four slotted vents in the lower strip of the spoiler. 

The Range Rover Gold Portfolio 1970-1992 is a must have for those interested in the early RR.

Theres also a similar book covering the early Disco. :)

Right, thanks for the tip on the book, I'm ordering it straightaway. Slightly confused about what you mentioned about the diesels not having a spoiler. My 300TDI, on my journey back from Spain moments before the alternator went to heaven, does have a spoiler. would that be put on later?

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-29 om 12.58.30.png

12 minutes ago, KrisDR said:

Right, thanks for the tip on the book, I'm ordering it straightaway. Slightly confused about what you mentioned about the diesels not having a spoiler. My 300TDI, on my journey back from Spain moments before the alternator went to heaven, does have a spoiler. would that be put on later?

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-29 om 12.58.30.png

Hi No but you have now moved on by a few model years from the VM engine now the fitting of a spoiler,  the radio aerial is in the rear screen, visible door hinges removed  is standard.

I take it that the 300 tdi RR at the filling station, a great picture by the way, is one of the last so called "soft dash" models then, so I can see that had the eight lower slot spoiler which would have been fitted by LR and therefore there's no doubt that's genuine. 

I  never took much notice in RRs evolving after the intro of the 3.9 1990/91 until I   decided to replace my 3.5 in 1996/7 and then I found out about the impressive amount of improvements the soft dash model had.

I would have had one if they were about, some showroom still had a couple or so but there was already a deposits on them, and very low mileage ones the owners wanted the price of a new one for it, even though the P38 had now been around for awhile and there were lots of them on the road, the old "soft dash" was what the one owners wanted.

And after pestering the LR dealers for at least three months I gave up. And got my Discovery which is not quite but nearly the same as my, 3.5 I had the two running side by side as it took me  two months to sell the 3.5.

It is indeed the soft dash and a very late one at that. First registration is September 95 (MA662408). It's a one owner car and except for a few small dents in the body it is absolutely impeccable. No rust at all and the interior is new. I consider myself lucky to have found it. saw it on the net, called the owner, took a plane and picked it up. On the way back the alternator stopped working but I had it fixed within 3 hrs at an indy near Montpellier.

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-29 om 18.01.28.png

58 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Just as an FYI, my Spanish 89 2 door (2.4 VM Turbo D) came with this type of front spoiler...

https://www.famousfour.co.uk/new_parts/ff_part?part=24705

ff010211.jpg

large.6B0234A9-1AFE-4E5D-9791-A0A35C92B98E.jpeg.184182f2e09643e347d4f0618e3fe08f.jpeg

They break up and are often removed, so it’s probably the reason why yours didn’t have a spoiler.

cheers, Steve 

Just what I needed ... a third option :)

11 hours ago, KrisDR said:

Just what I needed ... a third option :)

That’s easy, unless you want it to look like it came from the factory, just go with the one you like the look of the most. 

In case you didn’t know, you’ll also need two brackets for the fog/driving lights if you go for the later type, but they seem widely available, so you should have no problems in sourcing some. 

cheers, Steve 

18 hours ago, SteveG said:

Just as an FYI, my Spanish 89 2 door (2.4 VM Turbo D) came with this type of front spoiler...

https://www.famousfour.co.uk/new_parts/ff_part?part=24705

ff010211.jpg

large.6B0234A9-1AFE-4E5D-9791-A0A35C92B98E.jpeg.184182f2e09643e347d4f0618e3fe08f.jpeg

They break up and are often removed, so it’s probably the reason why yours didn’t have a spoiler.

cheers, Steve 

That's the first type of air dam or spoiler and I thought it was just there to cover up the oily bits. Now I'm sure it was there to create a low pressure area under the radiator to help with airflow. Too bad I didn't think of that when I took mine off years ago! 

57 minutes ago, walace58 said:

My 94 rrc Vogue se has a front spoiler with 3 slots. However the spotlights are inboard by about 34cms of slots on left and right hand side with 3 much longer slots between the spot.ignts

Perhaps you would like to attach a photo/s