The barn and shed thread

KrisDR

A couple of folks have commented on my barn and I happen to have documented it fairly well. So here it comes, by popular demand :).

On the below pictures you can see the concrete slab of 5.5m by 9m. It's 20 cm thick and it was polished straight after pouring. The result is a fairly dark, blue stone like, finish. Exactly what I wanted.

The base is made out of bricks similar to the bricks used for the house.

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-25 om 17.48.51.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-25 om 17.49.25.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-25 om 17.56.24.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-25 om 17.56.33.png

Edited by KrisDR

The wooden base construction is made 100% out of oak without a single nail being used. The planks used for the outside walls are also oak just as the planks which show on the inside of the roof. It was quite remarkable to watch how it was put together, I'm not sure that there still are many craftsmen around who are able to pull this off. For the record, the construction was assembled at the builder's site, adapted where needed, torn down and built up again at our place.5a6a0e0fd2d73_Schermafbeelding2018-01-25om17_59_02.thumb.png.e43a22414dc9c323e4cfa7a365996292.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-25 om 17.58.33.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-25 om 17.58.23.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-25 om 17.58.42.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-25 om 17.58.14.png

The construction was finished in 2015 and to this day I am very pleased with it. It blends in very well with the rest of the house and it's a fine spot to work on the cars or just sit in and listen to some music. The Porsche is gone after having had it for almost 10 years and has made room for, in the mean time, two RRC's. That's it, now show your barn or shed.

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-25 om 18.16.26.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-25 om 18.20.30.png

Schermafbeelding 2017-12-26 om 20.40.09.png

Well..... we're in the process of getting the materials for the new vehicle workshop & my office we're going to be building this year - roughly 14 x 8,5 x 4 mtrs. but all steel I'm afraid. Needs to be functional and not too expensive....

For those interested, once we've begun, I'll start posting pics etc. as at the moment there is not a lot to be seen...

• Like 1

Please do Arjan , the more different set ups on this thread the better , out of professional interest - do you have to use CE certified fabricated steels ?

And Kris , what a lovely spec for your workshop , I do know a few people that still build wood structures in that style . Where did you source the oak ?

cheers

Steve b  

Goede Avond,

Here in France there is the law and there is life.

We can build as we see fit - up to a certain degree - but trouble starts when you have problems and the insurance company is difficult.

So far, the French have been quite impressed with what we build...

17 hours ago, Arjan said:

Well..... we're in the process of getting the materials for the new vehicle workshop & my office we're going to be building this year - roughly 14 x 8,5 x 4 mtrs. but all steel I'm afraid. Needs to be functional and not too expensive....

For those interested, once we've begun, I'll start posting pics etc. as at the moment there is not a lot to be seen...

I'd definitely like a build thread to follow :D

Why is building a workshop so interesting.....

We need to take down some old stuff and then build a new roof, walls and, obviously, the electricity and a ramp. Not to mention concrete...

Oh yes..... Know that feeling. The ABRI we build last year for the horses was a serious energy taker... A lot of concrete, steel and heavy beams...

This one is even bigger..

...not to mention the 33 x 6 x 4 mtrs ABRI the Mrs. wants build next year for hay, firewood, trailer and trucks...