Re-wiring decisions

Input/advice needed on re-wire please...
For context, my 2 door is not one of the first fifty, or a rare/ unique RR. It’s a 1989 Turbo D registered in Spain, imported by me, and I’m in the process of rebuilding it from the ground up, doing a LHD to RHD conversion, and replacing the 2.4 VM, LT & BW combo for 4.6 V8, ZF & BW.

For the RHD to LHD conversion I sourced a 1991 Vogue SE rust bucket of a donor car. The plan was to use the RHD wiring looms from the donor, however, it had been hacked about for an aftermarket alarm, had two ignition switches with Scotchlocks everywhere under the dash and rusty connectors throughout. The original LHD loom would need changing about a fair bit for RHD, and would need a number of additions for central locking, electric windows etc. etc. as well as moving relays around due to the lack of recessed footwell positions.

So I’ve decided to completely re-wire everything. I’ve ordered, just arrived, a Blue Sea SafetyHub 150 for the main power distribution + permanent live circuits, and plan to use a Bussmann RFRM with dual busses, 10 relays, and 40 fuses for the circuit power distribution. Heated front and rear screens will be fed via a VSR off a 100A feed from the SafetyHub 150.

For the new additional circuits, I plan to use Deutsch connectors (DT & DTP).

The existing RR light units use Lucas Rists circular connectors, 7 way on the rear, 3 way up front. I’ve checked and they are available new, however, as the donor’s rusty connections show, they are not as good as the mordern equivalents. So do I swap out the Rists for Deutsch, or go for new Rists and fit them in the new looms where required?

Any advice/comments always welcome.

large.A5FBA287-29FE-456F-A66E-53B63AF8EC3C.jpeg.b1faa9f1760865f718010131deb7df5a.jpeg

large.9F821593-AAC7-4B30-99C5-27DB4731FBCC.jpeg.510e5060d67067c262b9e440d794e321.jpeg

large.75DCC225-302A-42EC-A92F-A649FB18DEE9.jpeg.73a7bd8275d08622a8699534eaece6b7.jpeg

large.A5085227-9F87-41B1-A967-FCC6D76AD34B.jpeg.cb10819dfb0e5747d5582a8866f24576.jpeg

large.36A29F04-4560-400C-A007-4A5FA2485100.jpeg.ac531483789942e1c4efe8576c119539.jpeg

cheers, Steve

1 hour ago, ianmayco68 said:

Personally I'd fit new deutsch connectors as you say modern ones are better at keeping moisture out , were did you get that fuse board from Steve ?

cheers Ian

Hi Ian, I got it directly from BlueSea on Amazon in US as it was much cheaper than here and I’m out there fairly often, you can source it in uk here...

http://www.rjsmarine.co.uk/7748-safetyhub-150-fuse-block although it’s still cheaper ordering on amazon and using their Int’l shipping.

57 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I like the RFRM, how much are they & where do you get them?

Hi John

The best source appears to be here... https://www.waytekwire.com/item/46354/EATON-s-Bussmann-Series-15401-2-0-1-0A-RFRM/

I haven’t ordered yet as I plan to pick it up on one of my next trips over as they don’t ship internationally. I won’t have time on next week’s trip, so I may ship via a forwarding service. They are $82 plus cost of terminals, seals and plugs. The single bus, 5 relay version is about $30. If you want I’ll let you know when I’m ordering, and you can tell me know if you want me to order an additional one etc.

8 hours ago, Red90 said:

I've used the Bussman before.  They are nice.  Love Waytek.  The only problem is they have high minimums.  They are designed for selling to businesses.

Thanks, that’s good to know. They seem to be good quality, and fairly compact for the amount of circuits you can run from them.

1 hour ago, Cynic-al said:

I never had any problems with the stock connectors... maybe I was just lucky :)

How are you planning to run the engine? 

MegaSquirt which is all new to me, so hopefully I’ll be relying on experience and expertise of others on here. Neil, V8Freak, has a Thor intake prepped for MS I can use, but everything else will need to be built up.

As I’m wiring everything from scratch the plan is to also run earths to busbars and then back to battery. I’m not sure if this is worth the effort or not. The SaeftyHub has a built in busbar, and a couple of additional ones should do. Thoughts anyone?

I’ll use LED’s as much as possible, so current draw on a lot of the circuits won’t be high, so I don’t need massive earths running everywhere. I’m toying with idea of using the a motogadget m-unit, which is earth switched for the trigger circuits and again on the bussmann I can earth switch the relays, so the majority of the switch circuits will be very low current. 

For higher draw circuits like the heated screens, fans etc. I’ll run their own earth circuit rather than share. So I’ll only need to run bulky high current wires to the SafetyHub, Bussmann and Motogadget. Well that’s the initial plan. ;)

3 hours ago, SteveG said:

As I’m wiring everything from scratch the plan is to also run earths to busbars and then back to battery. I’m not sure if this is worth the effort or not. The SaeftyHub has a built in busbar, and a couple of additional ones should do. Thoughts anyone?

For my 90 I'm planning on wiring all of the earth points directly back to the battery to try and reduce the earth paths through the body work. 

Sorry Steve I was on about the RFRM as well but I'm also interested in the safety hub as well . I did find these people who do them 

http://connectorconcepts.com/bu15rffuremo.html 

sent them an email last night and the very helpful chap got back to about 10 last night said yes they ship to the UK , but said to email any order enquiry to Judy Neilsen as there website wasn't very good with international shipping and the quote would be more accurate .

mailto:judy@connectorconcepts.com

cheers Ian

I was thinking of using a similar thing in my RRC, but I decided not to because nearly all the loom uses individual fuses rather than Bus fuses, and I came to the conclusion that a total rewire and revised loom would be needed, so I'm still looking for an alternative. I'm assuming that you'll be making a custom loom, and would it not be better to run 3 smaller fuse boxes, 1 for live, 1 for accessory and 1 for ignition?

Bussmann RFRM ordered along with relays, connectors and some other items from Waytek. Shipped same day last night, so depending on how quickly the parcel forwarding service turns it around, it may be here by the end of next week.

I went with Waytek, as they had all the items I needed, otherwise Ian’s finding of connector concepts look like a good option, and slightly cheaper too.

• 4 weeks later...

Steve - don't suppose you can give any more detail on the RFRM as the data sheet is 'sheet' - I'm wondering how the bus bars are connected, what the arrangement for terminals is for all the bits... for example, are all the relay pins brought out through the back or are there internal connections to the fuses / bus bars, etc.?

Just posting some photos of the front & back would be most useful.

Sure, this pic gives you the best idea...

large.64D93552-5CFC-4150-B981-2F787CF2F9C8.jpeg.2a526a70b91fe3901166d69e194255f3.jpeg

As shown on the left hand pic, the bus bars are internal connecting to one pin of the fuse on both sides of the RFRM. These pins are not exposed on the underside, even though you can see 7 holes. The holes on the bottom row are left to right - 2nd pin of fuse; not used; 86 of relay; 87a; 87; not used; 2nd pin of fuse. I assume the not used ones are there for the non bus bar and custom versions of the RFRM.

You insert Delphi Metri-Pak 280 connectors into the holes...

large.8F325ACD-ADF6-4D7D-9454-7802852ED9F1.jpeg.548a9557bbfbbd0cda87a5b1ae3beb7c.jpeglarge.91689EA0-40D9-44FA-8546-12A3AAF277DC.jpeg.3d2d4e57467dc760fca632561c046d56.jpeglarge.16FE886B-FBDE-4C28-A07A-2E2FBDBC6446.jpeg.fad0e6b9a0ae0b50c0e43f902b4bb156.jpeglarge.BDBDBFC5-FFAA-470E-AC0A-6EAF5693B6DB.jpeg.1f65e85c0a2d1ab360cbb7a9d3646885.jpeg

On the topside, the far left and far right pin receptors are built in as they’re connected to the internal bus bar. The rest of the pin receptors, including the relay, are created from pushing in the metri-pak connectors. 

large.F4E638EA-46A3-44FA-8F9A-42B3849A441A.jpeg.de66e402b50370822dd318822c531057.jpeg

Fortunately, my existing superseal crimp tool with the 2.8 opening was a perfect fit for the 280 connectors.

All good so far, apart from the built in pin receptors connected to the bus bar for the fuses were really tight, needing a set of pliers to insert fuses.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you need to know anything else.

Cheers

Steve

3 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

That's perfick, thanks Steve, pretty sure I'm going to get me one of those for the impending 109 rewire! Just need to get the crayons out & convince myself the scheme can work before bending the credit card.

Let me know if you need one bringing back, I should be out there again in March, April and May. 

1 minute ago, skauldy said:

Ahhh. I was going to ask would you mind putting me down for one of the bussmanns and then i seen the date you posted it.

I have been looking at the m unit also. Great price compared to other pdu's

Likewise, if you need one bringing back they are not bulky.

16 hours ago, skauldy said:

Really appreciate that. Thanks Steve. Googled the life out of them and always ended back at the waytek site 😣. Farnell do some cooper bussmann bit not that. I'm going with duetsch connectors also. Nice bit of kit 

All the information is here: http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/bussmann/transportation/products/power_distribution/power_distribution_modules/series_15400_rfrmrear-fedfuserelaymodule.html