Best night heater?

DC_

As some of you might be aware I like to go camping in the 110 in the Glens of Scotland even in the winter. So, what heater is best for keeping me cozy warm when it’s -6 and lower outside?

I noticed recently there are some disturbingly cheap Eberspacher lookalikes on ebay coming out of china. Cheap like sub £250 for the full kit :o I'd be interested to have a look over one, but I won't be trusting one in my truck any time soon :rolleyes:

I have Webasto water heaters, and a Eberspacher D1lc air heater (in different vehicles). Air heater is the better (simpler) option for overnight camping. D1lc should be more than enough for uk use. In Norway it was well below -10, and in the Ibex (less draughty than a 90) we were in T-shirts with the windows cracked open, and never turned the heater full on.

Edited by TSD
  • Like 1

Some of those cheap ones on eBay are planar I think - they’re made in Russia, and they have some good reviews.

They are supposed to be like the Eberspacher but with a brushless motor and simplified electronics.

I kind of imagine the Russians will know a lot about dealing cold weather !?

7 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

I kind of imagine the Russians will know a lot about dealing cold weather !?

Plenty of cold weather in China too, but I wasn't concerned about how well they work when they work, more how safe they are when they don't.

It’s wether it’s a genuine product built for its purpose isn’t it? Reliability being of part of that - i.e. if one failed in Siberia you’d probably die?

So if it was a genuine product, with a wide customer base across Russia, I was expecting decent reliability. 

We have eberspacher night heaters in the works' vans most will run 7+ hrs per day in wet weather to dry out gear in the back and then run off the timer through the night to keep things toasty. Mine has ran faultlessly for 6yrs (more than can be said for the tdci lol), and we miss them terribly when they fail. They're not the quietest in operation but highly effective.

• Like 1

Mikuni and Eberspacher do now work together (since 2013) really depends what you want from the heater, just cabin heat,or pre heat?

Hydronic heaters when set up to preheat and operate the dash fan give you a nice warm landie with demisted screens when set on a timer , bit more to fit as you need to interupt the water circuit . If you buy 2nd hand ex oem fitment becareful , not all models are supported in the UK and the diagnostics can't always be read easily.

Airtronic if you want to duct the heat to different areas is a simpler heater. 

Whichever you fit dont skimp on fuel pipe , make sure its the correct size otherwise the heaters will suffer.  If you buy 2nd make sure it has its fuel pump with it and some ex BT heaters only run for 1 hour before you have to restart them manually.

Strangely enough, when you look at the fleabay "Planar" heaters and compare them with Planar UK and Russia they are totally different.... They must do a special limited edition fleabay special...

I suspect that Planar was the most likely manufacturer not to take legal action... they probably just send Borris around for a chat :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Thanks guys. Bit of research now I think. Need to ask the money manager how the books are. They’re not cheap by the look of them. But...... a toasty roasty cab whilst in the freezing Glens sounds fab 😊👍🔥

If you buy used they are usually about the £150 mark but make VERY sure it comes with all the bits - plenty of them get removed from vehicles and they leave the fuel pump and/or the control box and/or the control dial / timer in the vehicle and those bits can add up quick! You can pay £75 for the fuel pump on its own if you're unlucky.

ALL the manuals (fitting & using & servicing) are online for free, if you can't find one just post up here one of us anoraks will have it!

• Like 1

Cheer’s Nige, my trouble is I don’t know exactly what should be included. I’ll need to search for new and make a list of parts. Then see what’s out there. Fitting it will be a challenge I’m sure. 😊👍

Need to go to work now but half an hour of searching this is the best I can see so far.....

looks like her indoors will need to watch emmerdale herself tonight as I search more 😂😂 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eberspacher-Airtronic-D2-Heater-12V-night-heater-complete-kit/292427378083?hash=item441607ada3:g:3i0AAOSwdd9abaq2

Who's Nige? :huh::P

If memory serves the D1LC has the control gubbins inside, whereas the older ones (D1 / D1L) have a separate oversized-relay style control box. Bigger ones (D2, D3, etc.) output more heat and are physically bigger. The manuals show you what you need to make each one work so it's worth checking. Bare minimum is a heater, a fuel pump, and a control knob, thermostat, or timer unit.

This one looks reasonable at the moment:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eberspacher-Airtronic-Heater-Diesel/323022567678

This one's cheaper but a less attractive ad:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eberspacher-Air-tronic-D2-Heater-12V-night-heater/282693434751

Pretty sure 3.5kW heat is enough to keep a 110 toasty unless you have no door seals. If memory serves Miketomcat had that setup in his black 110, it was very neat and worked well.

• Like 1

I've fitted both an engine (water) heater, and a blown hot air puffer in the back of mine. I had a good look around, read loads, and decided that the risks from s/h were too great given some of the stuff I'd read so went for a new one from PF Jones who had the best price I could find. They come with 3 years warranty and ALL the gubbins. This:  https://www.pfjones.co.uk/d2-airtronic-kit-12-volt.html

You can specify what timer unit you get - I chose the one with the diagnostics built in as my experience with the engine water heater was that minor hiccups (low voltage, air in system etc) can be a pain to diagnose and going to your local dealer to get them to run a diagnostic test for £40 a pop soon adds up. With the Eberspacher error codes you can quickly figure out whats afoot. 

Installation is easy enough - a day will easily do it. I spent a wee bit more time though running the fuel feed pipe inside clear hose for protection and built a wee alloy box to mount the dosing pump inside with rubber mounts so it lessens the click-click-click noise it makes when running and to keep the salt and road/field crud off it. 

Heat-wise brilliant! I was working recently on a high moor in the freezing cold and staying overnight in the 110 and it was easily warm enough to sit in your underpants! Not that I did mind you!

Edited by Jocklandjohn
  • Haha 2

Haha where did I get Nige from?? 😂 sorry about that.

great info guys, thanks  JocklandJohn, another thought to ponder. 

So where would you recommend fitting it? I’ve seen a thread on under the seat but I don’t think it’ll fit under there?