Best night heater?

DC_

40 minutes ago, DC_ said:

Excellent, thanks for the links! Where did you mount the heater unit in the 110?

17 minutes ago, RedLineMike said:

i have a chinese version of the eberspacer in my van conversion, been fitted for over a year, cant fault it for the price & its certainly kept us warm when we have been away, not the first time its been 28c inside the van

What was the output rating on yours? D2s seem to be 2.2Kw but the chinese ones are usually much higher at 5kw and 8kw. Not sure if there are inefficiences of the system which reduce the realistic output though.

Same I went for the 5kw but..... and this is why the face book page is good. You learn that getting a 5kw or 8kw is usually the same heater! It’s hard to get a 2kw but I just turn the 5kw down when it’s too warm. You can’t get any more heat from a 2kw if you need it. 
I mounted it in an ammunition box inside the rear tub on the shelving, cut a hole through into the Jerry can compartment. Send me your email and I’ll post you some pics of you like. Or I can put them up here if allowed? 

13 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

How bigs the fuel tank DC ? And how long does the fuel last ? 
cheers Ian

I bought this tank (5L) instead of the 10L supplied one. Last camp in 3 degrees in bridge of orchy it was full. Ran it on full pelt for an hour before bed, turned the thermostat down to 18 degrees, it used at Max, two litres. 

I’ve also been looking at some form of night heater for when I go camping in the 110. Where is the normal place to install one of these units? Inside or outside and where in particular to minimise loss of internal space? I’d like to fit a bed in the back of mine so the location of warm air outlet(s) will be important and I’ve removed my seat bulkhead. 

Can the space under the centre seat be used?

How does the fuel supply tap into the tank on a TD5? Do you need to fit a new fuel pickup into the tank or can you tap into a non-pressurised line at the fuel pump?

Any photos of what others have done would be great.

This is mine in a Mudstuff heater locker, photo shows it with the top removed. The cubby sits on top of it.

The pump is on the offside chassis rail and the fuel connection is a Tee into the suction line from the tank to the engine - 300 TDi.

IMG_9273.thumb.jpg.bb1ae863d274535a7ccf3168cf656c18.jpg

Edited by Peaklander
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bigj - do a search you find more than one answer to all of those questions.

lots of people have put them in different places - I’ve seen them go under a cubby box, though often that’s above the seatbox - but I don’t see any reason you couldn’t mount one under the panel with a big or bracketed.

Fuel wise - another drop into the tank is the best solution, but getting at the tank puts people off. Next option is a kit you can get that works from the filler neck. You can also T into the return line - but a lot of folk aren’t keen on that because of the pressure in it and the lack of depth that line drops to in a tank, another option is a separate tank - the Chinese kits have brought cheap ones to the market.

Mine is in with the battery and blows into the footwells.

When I first bought my TD5 I remember there being a hatch already cut in the rear floor. Had a wee rummage around tonight and it looks as though the PO has replaced the fuel pump in the past and I've now got handy access to it. I've read elsewhere that you can tap into the grey spare nipple in the image here. Anyone know how that works? Do you just cut the end off and attach a fuel hose or do you need a stand pipe of sorts?

20191117_165250.jpg

20191117_165232.jpg

9 hours ago, DC_ said:

So it’s -5 here tonight.... clicked the button on the remote..... leaving it 35 minutes to see what the outcome is....❄️❄️❄️

How did it go? Ice on the inside of my windscreen this morning so thoroughly looking forward to the prospect of having some heat!

On a related note, what's everyones thoughts on plumbing the heater output into the lower dash panel to distribute the hot air via the footwell vents? Would it lose too much heat in the process?

In my brief experience with a D2 I think there's more than enough airflow. In fact if it was only plumbed through those vents it would be restricted too much and too complicated to access anyway. Depending on where you locate it, you can easily run the ducting and split off to provide outlets where you want without needing to break into the lower dash.

1 hour ago, paime said:

How did it go? Ice on the inside of my windscreen this morning so thoroughly looking forward to the prospect of having some heat!

On a related note, what's everyones thoughts on plumbing the heater output into the lower dash panel to distribute the hot air via the footwell vents? Would it lose too much heat in the process?

The Landy was nice and warm after abiut 20 minutes. 😎🔥 

Personally I would try not to run too much ducting as it does lose heat the more it travels... but in the case on the Landy there’s only a relatively small space to heat anyhoo 

• 1 month later...

I mounted my D2 behind the passenger seat in a 90. The seat still goes back enough, it's out of the way and protected by the bulkhead and the outlet hose went up and mounted to the bulkhead so you could aim it forwards or backwards, or warm (roast on full blast!) your hands on it when you got in. Exhaust ran down behind the rear outrigger which was out of the way and protected. Fuel tee-ed off one of the fuel hoses, I can't remember which.

I got a full unopened kit second hand and it was easy (even for me) to fit.

PS. Mine didn't have the exhaust silencer and was quite noisy on full blast, but not too bad once it had settled down. However I never slept with it going, I just used it to defrost and get things warm in the morning. The fuel pump also made quite a loud clicking noise which would be annoying at night. If I were to use it on a camper I'd try to soundproof the pump a bit more and install the exhaust silencer. It looks like the newer models have an improved/quieter pump anyway.