Baldy169

V8 3.9 auto fitted in a 2.5td defender, what speedo cable and how?

I've purchased a 1998 defender that has had a 1998 discovery 3.9 v8 planted in it...unfortunately the speedo cable had been chopped off with the view to it never going back on the road. I've since managed to get it roadworthy but really want the speedo to work and clock up legit miles!

Anyone know what cable I need to buy and how I fit it? Looked on YouTube and I can't find anything.

Many thanks

A standard 2.5TD cable should fit, you may need to swap the little plastic speedo gear inside the transfer case, but it does fit and bolt up.

the 3.9 14cux requires a speed sensor to adjust the fueling I got round this using the older inline type set up from a rrc efi the sensor is prc5956 I used rrc 3.5 speedo cables the short one is prc7949 long one prc8232 i modified one end to fit the defender dash   you can fit a original defender speedo cable and not connect the speed sensor it will run fine but the difference it made really surprised me runs a lot better  

Edited by L90-v8

i ended up using a defender gear.. in t case. D1 short cable to speed transducer..... and nas spec top part which was ludicrously expensive for a cable... but itfitted and worked. The oy other isdue i found wasthat the discovery and defender appeared to use different size square drives on the short cable.... so i got speedy cables (not very speedy!) To make an inner with the bigger square on it....

You may find that with the 98 being i guess a serpentine front... it might have the electronic speed transducer on the transfer box... quite how people get round that im not sure.... probably just replace it with a full cable and ignore telling the ecu you'r moving.....

Edited by Disco-Ron
Additional txt