Groaning noise on Ashcroft ATB

Naks

3 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Yup, ring and pinion is likely scrap now, they have just changed when the noise happens.

I'd probably send the ATB centre back to Ashcrofts for a checkover, and get their opinion on it. I appreciate that may not be an option for you....

Drive it with rear prop removed, and in diff lock, you will isolate the transfer box, front drivetrain from the problem that way, it should change/go quieter/silent.

If sending it back to the UK.... get it sent on to Nigel at Xcess4x4. He'll build it into a diff properly. 

unfortunately sending it back to the UK is not really an option.

I will take it to the chap who imports them, he probably has more experience with working with diffs

• 2 months later...

I've just had a pre-owned Ashcroft ATB fitted to the rear axle of my RR P38 4.6... it was a whole, built diff unit, from another vehicle, not a core. Will it need any lash/runout adjustment because it's in a new home?

On 2/14/2018 at 11:15 AM, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

Just got an update from the workshop: they fitted a new crownwheel + pinion and the problem is gone, plus one of the bearings was not sitting properly (not too sure about the exact terms).

the original diff was replaced by LR after about a year of ownership, so not sure if that was not done properly, and after 9 years it finally went over when the ATB was installed?

my indie says now that the droning noise from the diff is gone, there's a 'squeaky' noise that's appeared, and he thinks there's a bearing in the gearbox that needs inspecting  :rolleyes:

In which case he needs kicking in the crown jewels for being a Knob :D

^^^

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier comment :D 

• 1 year later...

Finally got the landy back after it spent 7 months in the shop.

During a  very thorough investigation into the root cause of the vibrations, the following were replaced: 
- rear propshaft
- A-frame ball joint
- rear springs (Terrafirma Heavy)
- all bushes

The landy now drives much better, although there's still a vibration at low speeds coming from the gearbox/transfer case area (bum area) and the rear diff howls at around 80kmh.

Having been without an off-roadworthy landy since Feb 2018, I'm done trying to sort this out any further.

I guess this is a Defender after all, so I shouldn't complain that it isn't safe, comfortable, etc., and just live with the issues.   🙄

• 3 months later...

Happy to report that after 3 weeks of much-needed TLC at a new indie, the vibration is now almost gone and the truck now drives lekker!

they did a complete respray of the chassis, fixed the rear diff vibration, new UJs on both props, new output shaft seal, tightened front left bearing, new rear side shafts & drive members, etc.

It’s a shame that it has cost you so much time and money, all because the first shop were incompetent and dishonest.  Is the shop that did the last three weeks a third shop, different from the one that had it for the seven months and repainted the chassis?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 11:11 AM, Snagger said:

It’s a shame that it has cost you so much time and money, all because the first shop were incompetent and dishonest.  Is the shop that did the last three weeks a third shop, different from the one that had it for the seven months and repainted the chassis?

Yes, this is a new workshop that I only discovered now, and it's around the corner from me.

they did a stellar job on the chassis - removed all rust and resprayed, etc. The workshop went above board, and didn't charge me much.

Now the Landy looks great and drives great too!

Orxy 2019100701.JPG

Orxy 2019100702.JPG

• Like 1