Naks

Groaning noise on Ashcroft ATB

3 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Yup, ring and pinion is likely scrap now, they have just changed when the noise happens.

I'd probably send the ATB centre back to Ashcrofts for a checkover, and get their opinion on it. I appreciate that may not be an option for you....

Drive it with rear prop removed, and in diff lock, you will isolate the transfer box, front drivetrain from the problem that way, it should change/go quieter/silent.

If sending it back to the UK.... get it sent on to Nigel at Xcess4x4. He'll build it into a diff properly. 

unfortunately sending it back to the UK is not really an option.

I will take it to the chap who imports them, he probably has more experience with working with diffs

Find a new shop to work on it.  Time to just take a loss on a place that is incompetent.

19 hours ago, Red90 said:

Find a new shop to work on it.  Time to just take a loss on a place that is incompetent.

TIA...

I've just had a pre-owned Ashcroft ATB fitted to the rear axle of my RR P38 4.6... it was a whole, built diff unit, from another vehicle, not a core. Will it need any lash/runout adjustment because it's in a new home?

Not normally, no, should be fine, as you set them up on the bench anyways, unlike a Salisbury axle :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Not normally, no, should be fine, as you set them up on the bench anyways, unlike a Salisbury axle :)

Good to know, thank you.

On 2/14/2018 at 11:15 AM, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

Just got an update from the workshop: they fitted a new crownwheel + pinion and the problem is gone, plus one of the bearings was not sitting properly (not too sure about the exact terms).

the original diff was replaced by LR after about a year of ownership, so not sure if that was not done properly, and after 9 years it finally went over when the ATB was installed?

my indie says now that the droning noise from the diff is gone, there's a 'squeaky' noise that's appeared, and he thinks there's a bearing in the gearbox that needs inspecting  :rolleyes:

In which case he needs kicking in the crown jewels for being a Knob :D

^^^

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier comment :D